Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrzgurl

Where O Where are all the perennials?

jrzgurl
19 years ago

Been looking for purple fountain & zebra grasses, coneflowers and others; with no luck. The grasses may be early, but I've planted other perennials in the past around April 15 or so. I just can't seem to find anything. Any one been to Parker Greenhouse or Williams Nursery lately? Thanks.........

Comments (9)

• Birdsong72
    19 years ago

Many late spring/summer perrenials are not showing yet (and that includes my echinecia, pentstemon, black-eyed susan, calendulas, rodgersia, etc).

Earth hasn't warmed up enough yet for that to happen. All good things in all good time.

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

I went over to HD a few times in the last 2 weeks; they don't have much out at all. I did manage to pick up a beautiful purple/white columbine though, and a few others, but nothing to go crazy over. Considering it's been such a screwy winter, maybe things are delayed a bit.

• njtea
    18 years ago

It's been cold and local growers are delayed a bit. Also, Mother's Day is as early as it can get this year - and it's just too early for many of the plants people expect to see around Mother's Day.

We had some damage to plants grown in warmer climes when a frost hit last week, plants that if grown here in the ground would have survived.

All that said, the plants that Birdsong mentioned as not having broken through yet are all up and looking very chipper here at my place in Hunterdon County.

• cindy528
    18 years ago

My black eyed susans, phlox, coneflowers, monarda and yarrow are all up and growing well and looking very happy. I am in Cumberland County.

• dighappy
    18 years ago

Try Popes Gardens in Waterford (South Jersey), they have a TON of perennials for very reasonable prices. I will attach a link for their website for your convenience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Popes Gardens

• Katrinawitch
    18 years ago

I usually go to Coppola's in South Plainfield, and they don't have as much as they usually do this time of year. I think it's been so chilly, they're a couple weeks behind. I'm not doing much in the way of perennials this year, except maybe for some more coneflowers. My new thing this for this year will be sunflowers and vines.

• jrzgurl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys! May have to check out Popes. Did manage to find carex & feather grass. Still looking for some purple fountain & zebra grasses.

• bearHit
    18 years ago

I recall some negative reviews of the Purple Fountain Grass.

It will spread like Kudzu if you're not careful - mine was a nuisance in AZ

• zachandethan
    18 years ago

I've been to Parkers' a couple times over the past couple of weeks - they were starting to load up on perennials, but were still a little skimpy.

I did check out The Farm at Green Village (up in the Madison area) yesterday and they had a very healthy selection of perennials.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting