Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Anybody else go the Rutgers Ag Field Day?

I bought: Lavendar, Arp Rosemary, Borage, Pineapple Sage, and 2 other Sages, lantana, verbena, Joe Pye Weed,Thai basil, Licorace. and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Like I need more plants!

ellen

Comments (8)

• axeman
    20 years ago

I would have like to have gone if I'd have heard about it. Tell me about it, was it just a plant sale or did they have exhibitions? Is it a yearly event? Were there any of those rutgers dogwoods available?

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I don't know if dogwood was available. A lot more than a plant sale. Many many booths devoted to agriculture, environment. And...cows, pigs. A great place to bring children, last year we watched baby chicks hatch. A tour of Helliar (I think I'm mis-spelling that) Woods - the oldest untouched woods in the country. Yes it is annual. Here is a link to a plant sale May 8 at the Rutgers gardens, and they do have dogwood.
    Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: May 8 plant sale

• Maria410
    20 years ago

Hi all,

I am one of the master gardeners of Middlesex Co. who grew all those plants -- at least the ones that ellenr mentioned. We grow everything from seed or cuttings right on the Cook Campus. Ag Field Day is a great day and it coincides with the New Jersey Folk Festival (also free) on the Douglass Campus so you can do a lot in one day.

The master gardeners will be selling at the Rutgers Gardens plant sale on May 8th as well (we don't sell on Sunday at RU gardens). Rutgers Gardens sells a wide variety of perennials, annuals, and vegetables as well. The selection is amazing and the prices are good -- at least I think so.

Anyway come out and enjoy the day and hopefully the lilacs will be in bloom -- they are amazing.

-- Maria

• axeman
    20 years ago

Its a shame that I won't be able to go. Not only do we a have a birthday party for a relative, Bowman's Hill is having their spring sale that weekend.

• last1earth
    19 years ago

Can anybody tell me some prices that they have paid for Rutgers plants? Sort of to give me an idea?
    thank you

• Katrinawitch
    19 years ago

We love Ag Field Day! My husband is a Cook College graduate, and we don't miss it. The plants are nice, but we always seem to get there at the end of the day, when the selection isn't as good. However, they usually mark down the plant prices considerably as the day winds down.

We go for the food (the Folk Festival is always running concurrently), and to see all of the animals, bugs, etc. Plus, people bring their dogs, and the kids love to look at the different breeds walking around.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

I remember paying $12 for a good sized container of Begonia Grandis at one of their plant sales. Considering how many seedlings I got the following year, it was a bargain.

• curlymom
    19 years ago

I go every year, I've posted on this before when I used to post more often. I LOVE it, fun day and great plants, herbs, and entertainment (canine and musical).

I am anxiously awaiting April already!