Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitova

how many of you are planting already?

kitova
19 years ago

despite this weather, i am itching to plant! i have a clematis in the garage, as well as a japanese maple i bought from a big box store. both are already starting leafing out in my garage.

since i just bought the japanese maple and it is leafing out earlier than most JMs i've seen around here, I'm inclined to wait a few weeks before planting this. however, the clematis vine i consider much more hardy, and i'm really tempted to plant it this coming week when the daytime temperature will be in the high 50s/low 60s.

have you guys started plant your perennials and shrubs outside yet? would like to know (partly to get up the courage to plant my precious clematis since its roots have already reached the limit of the pot)

they are predicting a bit of rain again next weekend (maybe). plus the ground is so soft, it's easy to dig...

Comments (9)

• hunt4carl
    19 years ago

Let's see: in the last week, I've planted two blueberries,
    a dwarf nandina, a new seedles red grape (that arrived via
    USPS from Miller's), two viburnums; I lifted, divided and
    replanted Rudbeckia maxima, asters, goldenrod, and aego-
    podium; all those leftover potted daffodils and hyacinths
    from church on Easter Sunday have been sunk in their new
    spots to ripen and settle in for next Spring; hey, I was
    on such a roll that I bit the bullet and lifted an emerging
    PEONY (an absolute no-no in Spring!) and moved it - still
    seems to be emerging six days later - we shall see. . .

In short: START PLANTING! And even if some things didn't
    make it (but they will!) it just feels so G-O-O-D to be out
    there digging . . . right?

• andyinnyc
    19 years ago

Today (Sunday) I planted 3 types of peas (2 edible podded), got my broc and chinese cabbage in the dirt as well. Also dumped in various seeds - lettuces, beets, etc.

Earlier in the week I pulled back the straw from my strawberry patch - they were green underneath! I also put in the blue berries, black berries and raspberries. Those were all bare root, so I'm not expecting to see much action from them any time soon.

Later in the week as time permits, more seeds go in to the other raised beds - family loves the lettuces which come out of the garden.

Andrew

• zcherian
    19 years ago

Last week I planted a climbing rose and a clematis. Didn't have to water. Nature did it for me. This week's chore: plant three more roses.

• inguvap
    19 years ago

I did plant 10 hybrid tea roses yesterday. Well, I take credit for all the work my husband did, but I made him do it, so ...
    This week, I am planning to put sunflower seeds, and holluhock seedlings in the ground.

Padma.

• kitova
    Original Author
    19 years ago

wow, you guys are great!

i would have posted a response earlier today, but after reading the first few posts and seeing you guys out there bravely planting stuff (carl, thanks for the encouragement! and andrew, yours was the last post i read) well, i couldn't resist!

so my clematis is planted! no wilt yet so that's a good sign, and tomorrow, i may get around to putting some sedum in.

unfortunately for the beautiful roses, i have too many local deer and since i'm not willing to put up a fence... no roses for me. anyone in union county who wants a "climbing america" rose bush (well, more 2 stems than bush since its deer "accident" last summer)?

• MLcom
    19 years ago

So far have planted

Asparagus roots
    Rhubarb roots
    Onion sets
    Potatoes
    Peas 3 types
    Beets
    Lettuce
    Broccoli
    Radishes
    Have seedlings to plant of
    Swiss Chard
    Poppy's
    Nasturtiums
    Lettuce Romaine started to transplant in garen
    Lettuce Red Ruby transplanted in garden
    Stocks
    CA Poppy
    Cauliflower
    Sunflowers Moulin Rouge
    Mesclum Sweet
    Clarkia
    Hollyhocks
    Stocks
    Bachelors Buttons
    Panseys
    Swan River Daisys
    Snapdragons
    Alfafa
    Alyssum
    Godetia
    Swiss Chard

Alot of grass seeds and clover.

Will be planting more each day.

Been very busy this winter planting seeds. Nothing was started inside all out side.

ML

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    19 years ago

ML,
    I see Alyssum on your list. 3 days ago I saw some flowering plants for sale and almost bought them but thot it was too early. Yesterday I went to Mels in North Brunswick to buy some allysum and he said he had some but he thot it was way too early. Well, I'm going back today and buy one or 2 and plant them cuz my bones tell me there will be no more frost, and I'm willing to take a chance.

Like you'all, i just gotta get planting!

Just wondering -is your list referring to plants you planted or seeds?

ellen

• mulchwoman
    19 years ago

Hi
    My snow peas have been planted for about a month and are now about 1" high. Yesterday I put in my broccoli plants. In a couple of weeks I will put in stringbeans, then after that (May) tomatoes peppers eggplant squash and melons.
    It seems that the winter lasted awfully long this year. Sure feels good to be outside playing in the dirt!

• MLcom
    19 years ago

Ellen I tried the Winter Sowing idea this year. I have had over 30 milk jugs sprouted before April. Some were seeds over 6 years old. Today transplanted alot of the larger ones in the garden. Winter sowing rocks in NJ.

Even have one tomato plant in two milkjugs casue it has grown so big. Hoping for some May tomatos.

Traded lots of seeds from others on the Garden Web and they are doing great.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting