Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figtreeundrgrnd

Any Nurseries Near Morristown Selling Heirloom Tomato Plants?

figtreeundrgrnd
19 years ago

Too late to start from seed so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's a nursery near me that sells heirloom tomato plants. Last year I traveled to Lancaster, PA. for Brandywine but they were not disease resistant and I had a heck of a time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (32)

• hydrangea_gal
    19 years ago

I too am looking for heirlooms this spring, since my place of 9 years, NJ botanical gardens, has closed! Any suggestions, I will post.

Stacy

• yourpal
    19 years ago

Maplewood Garden Club is having their annual plant sale May 5, 6, 7 at the town pool. The Junior Garden Club always sells multiple varieties of heirloom tomatoes. I believe that they sell them on the first afternoon of the sale, so if you could be there around 4:00, you'll get a good selection.

• evan1
    19 years ago

There are usually tons of heirlooms at the Somerset County 4-h plant sale. Not sure of the date this year, It's right off route 202 in Bridgewater, usually in May.

I'll have lots of extra seedlings, I tried to drum up enthusiasm in a swap but not much interest. email me off list, I'm in Morristown at least twice a week, would be happy to pass on some extras.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone. Very busy this year...I'll try to make one of the plant sales.

• ellenh
    19 years ago

evan1,

I have a number of heirloom varieties that I started. I'd love to do a swap.

Ellen

• evan1
    19 years ago

I'm still up for one. I'm central so anywhere Middlesex,Somerset,Morris,Hunterdon,Union, northern Mercer would work for me. The plant swap they are doing in June is just a little late for peppers and tomatoes, which is what I have.

• micamom
    19 years ago

I have purchased heirloom tomatoes from Dreyer's farms. It is best to call them first to see if the plants are available.

DREYER FARMS
    831 SPRINGFIELD AVE
    CRANFORD, NJ 07016
    908-276-1290

• njtea
    19 years ago

I believe that Leaping Lizards in Basking Ridge has at least Brandywines.

• MLcom
    19 years ago

Cross country Nursey sells the plants and ships them too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross country Nursey

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You've all been very helpful, thanks. Now, if any of you can tell me how to critter-proof them once I get them...now that would be something!>)

• MLcom
    18 years ago

In cages the deer seem to leave them alone and nail the pepper plants. Only the tomato horn worm has casue a problem for me here. Voles are the biggest problem have had other then the deer and they seem to leave them alone.

• evan1
    18 years ago

I've had mixed results with deer- two years ago they ate everything except the stems, another year they left them alone. I resort to a big ugly black netting fence around my patch now.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Evan - it doesn't seem like we can drum up a lot of interest in swapping the tomatoes. If you want I can send you a list of what I've got growing and we can do a small in person trade. I'm in hunterdon county near Flemington.

Ellen

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

Here's the info on the 4H Sale:

May 12, 2001
    from
    9:00 am to 1:00 pm
    Somerset County
    Rutgers Cooperative Extension Building
    4-H Center
    310 Milltown Road, Bridgewater, NJ
    (between Route 202 and Route 22)

Here is a link that might be useful: 4H Plant Sale in Bridgewater

• evan1
    18 years ago

May 12 2001? Are you sure that info is up to date? May 12 is a thursday this year.

ellenh- I'm fairly close to you, I'll send you an email and we can work out a time and place.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Evan - The sale is on the 14th, not the 12th. I have it written on my calendar.

I'll email you. Anyone else want to join in???

Ellen

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

Whoops...sorry about the misinformation, folks... looks like the page I found was a leetle out of date. LMAO

• evan1
    18 years ago

Ellenh- I sent an email via gardenweb. Let me know if you got it and we can coordinate. I was tempted to put a fe in the ground this weekend but I'm holding off for warmer soil.

• MLcom
    18 years ago

I have about 25 different ones growing and will have extras also. Even the Ulgy Ripe. was amazed thatsome one on line was selling those for 4.95 per plants. I am in south Jersy if any one is interested in trading.
    ML

• gardenerRB
    18 years ago

This morning, I saw an assortment of 3" pot heirloom tomatoes at Metropolitan Plant Exchange at the intersection of Rte. 10 and Pleasant Valley Way in what I believe is either Livingston, West Orange or Verona (I'm originally from NY and have not yet mastered Essex County). Anyway, they are in the annual section along the edge of the fence. Kind of hard to find amid the flowers, but, as of this morning, they are there.

• evan1
    18 years ago

I stopped by the Somerset Master gardeners sale Saturday- very disapointing on the vegetable side- esp tomatoes. I didn't see any peppers either. Not that I needed any.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to Morris Cnty Farms on Smith Rd. in Denville. Heard they have lots of vegetables. Anyone been there?

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Anyone here in south Jersey? Have plenty of extras.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

figtreeundrgrnd, I live in Morris County and I will probably have a couple of extras of some types. I only grew one to four plants of any type. I've already promised some to family and neighbors but usually when it comes down to it, you never know if they will take them. (And if they do, they will probably kill them). I hope to go through it over the weekend. LMK if you are interested and I will include you in my sorting.
    I should warn you that I have a lot of aphids in my yard right now and though my tomatoes aren't infested, I've found a couple here and there that I've hand picked off, so if you are aphid free (is there such a thing?), you might want to consider that. They aren't all over the place. They prefer my viburnums and roses I think.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Silly me. I have 85 seedlings! What to do.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I found some Brandywine, went to Lancaster, PA., made a day of it. Put six in (I'm a glutton for punishment)! Last year I battled critters and disease with these but the tomatoes were lucious! The ones they left for me that is!
    Whoever was eating my tomatoes must have been a gourmet...beside the 'deer off', I tried vinegar and hot sauce on them and they still munched...I was just making salsa for them...should've put out some chips!)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

All the way to Lancaster! Wow. Should I say I saw it a little closer than that?
    Last year, the farm on Black Oak Ridge Road in Wayne sold Brandywine and Cherokee Purple over the counter. They also had sungold in pints for the last two years. They got theirs to mature in a decent amount of time. Mine ripen so late into the season.

• evan1
    18 years ago

You should check the Morristown community garden behind the treatment plant next to 287 off Hanover Ave. This time of year many people leave their surplus seedlings to be adopted by the gate. Usually many heirlooms. And free.

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Funny you should mention that evan...I stopped by there Monday on a tip from an acquiantance...alas, nothing there!
    I know, Lancaster is a bit far to go...but, thanks to you fine folks, next year I'll have plenty of resources...Thanks everyone!>)

• ellenh
    18 years ago

If anyone wants to come to the Central Jersey swap tomorrow, I'll bring some of my tomato seedlings. See the NJ exchange page for more details.

Ellen

• figtreeundrgrnd
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wish I had more room for tomatoes... I'm also growing cauliflower, peppers, cukes, beans, peas, strawberries, blueberries, figs, eggplant and cantelope (Whew)!

• walnutknollfarm
    17 years ago

I've purchased plants from Laurel at www.heirloomtomatoplants.com for the last 4 years, and they have always arrived in great condition, when they are ready.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz