Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsm1311

Cyclamen Seeds

nsm1311
18 years ago

Hi,

My cyclamen grew a seed pod, which has finally dried and I have harvested the seeds.

I wnat to know if there is a way i can grwo cyclamen from seed? When should i plant it? and how long will it take to germinate?

once it germinates what do i have to do?

Comments (16)

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

I've grown cyclamen from seed - hardy cyclamen. The seed likes cool temperatures - around 50 F, and dark - cover it with foil. As I remember, it does something weird - first it grows a root and a bulblet, and then a leaf. It might take two to four months. When you have a leaf, then you uncover it and baby it in the shade.

Florist's cyclamen might be different. It's a good idea to start in February in the garage and then move it outside in early April, but you could go ahead and try.

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Birdgardner,

the Cyclamen i bought was from Lowe's. and i bought it in the month of February.
    I have had it indoors all this time. and thank to all the postings on the Gardenweb forums it is surviving and thriving.

It has stopped flowering now and the leaves are doing great.

So as per your suggestion i should plant it, cover it with foil and wait.
    I'm from the Hudson county and the weather is playing hide-n-seek. we have gorgeous 65 dgrees today but frost is forcasted tonite and tomorrow.
    coming back to my question should i plant them outside in a small planter now?

Appreciate any answers.
    and thank you in advance.
    nsm

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Sounds like you have florist's cyclamen, in which case higher temperatures won't hurt. My reference book says 70 F, two to four months. And definitely exclude light. Also says seeds should be planted as soon as possible - go for it.

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you, Birdgardener,
    Will plant the seeds this weekend.

Will post a follow-upwhen I succeed.

nsm

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I have two plants from my florist cyclamen seed. Haven't seen it flower yet. I planted them just the same as the hardy types according to an article in October 2004 issue of Horticulture on page 62. The article was an interview with Ellen (I think her name is - last name escapes me?) from Seneca Hill Perennials. If you don't have access to it, I typed up something for another GW'er in word.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seneca Hill

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,
    My next question is once I Plant seeds do i need to water it during the time it is germinating?

If yes, then When do I water and How much?

Loretta,
    thank you very much for the link and I visited the website but I did not find the Instructions about the Seeds. Only a reference that The Nursery will be posting the seeds availability in July.

So, i guess i will wait for July.

Birdgardener,
    I have planted the seeds and covered them with Foil. as you suggested.
    and I guess it is the waiting game.

Nita

• birdgardner
    18 years ago

Covered with foil, the soil should stay moist. Check on it after a month, and at two months - after two months check weekly for sprouting.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

No, you won't find it there. They are the source of the article in Horticulture magazine. I typed up the instructions from that article for someone I gave seeds to once and still have them. I can send them to you if you want. It's a word document.

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi loretta,
    I would love to have the word document.

In fact I have started my gardening journal in word which I link to other documents etc.

Thank you for the tips and guidance.

Nita.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Nita,
    I sent you an email.
    Loretta

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Loretta,

will keep the document in my journal for future and current reference.

Nita

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI everyone,

Thank you for the great directions and step-by-steps, I have sprouts.:)

After planting the seeds, they have sprouted.
    And as You mentioned, it first grew a bulblet and now it has sprouted a stem and leaves at the end of it.

I guess now I can leave it out in the open and baby it.

Question is how frequently will i need to feed the Cyclamen?

Thank you for the great support.

Nita

• birdgardner
    17 years ago

Congrats on the baby plants! Look at the recommended fertilizer dose for houseplants - either give it that every fourth watering, or a 1/4 strength dose at every watering. You can fill a bottle at the right strength and save that for your cyclamens.

Being florists' cyclamens, they are probably selected to be "pushed along" with regular fertilizing.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

A few of my cyclamen seedlings started Jan 2005 are blooming including one florist seedling. The flowers are the same as the parent except are a little smaller so far. Also the parent had scent and so far, this one does not. I am sure I didn't fertilize enough.

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,

even though i have sprouts the leaves are too tiny to barely qualify as leaves.

and the bulblets are sitting above the soil line.

Is that ok? should i bury the bulblets under the soil?

It is a great feling to soemthing come to life. and i hope i manage to keep the plant alive.

Enjoy the summer.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

I think the bulbs should stay near soil line. I finally found a spot to put the C. coum in the garden where they won't get lost - hopefully.
    PS - The florist seedling did inherit the scent. They also are the same color - white with a pink rim.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting