Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisacdm

Viburnum - where to buy

lisacdm
18 years ago

I would like to buy about 10 evergreen type of Viburnum, in paticular Prauge (or suggest another type of evergreen Viburnum I'd appreciate it). Can anyone recommend a good source for this shrub? I live in Essex County.

Thanks,

Lisa

Comments (9)

• clancey4
    18 years ago

Hildebrant's Nurseries 167 Oldwick Rd., Oldwick
    Directions: 1 mi. north of Rt. 78
    Phone: 908-439-2256
    Available: Shrubs; trees; landscaping; evergreens; shade trees

it's not essex county (hunterdon?) Call first he's not open everyday but it's worth the trip. The owner is really helpful and can teach you a ton about any plant under the sun.

• njtea
    18 years ago

Hildebrant's - yes. Years ago I went to Mr. Hildebrant looking for a variety of shrubs, including Symphocarpus. He told me I'd was the only person who'd ever asked for it and proceeded to give me all of his Symphocarpus for cost - I think I got 6 good size plants.

I need to go see him about the alder I'm looking for. Thank you for reminding me of him - although I drive by everyday on my way to work I come home a different way and never thought of stopping there.

Yes, Lisa, do go visit Mr. Hildebrant.

• lisacdm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help I'll call this week.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

That sounds like a stop.

You might also call Fairfield Gardens in Fairfield on Route 46. They carry viburnums I think. It is not a hard shrub to find. A lot of nurseries will have it.

• prubo
    18 years ago

I was thrilled to stumble upon a big shipment of Prague Viburnum at Home Depot in Clifton last year. They were big plants for about $15 each. You never know when and where things will turn up!

• lisacdm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I live pretty close to Clifton so I can easily (except for that darn traffic cirle) check .

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Fairfield didn't have that one yet. You can also have a nursery place an order for you. Many will do this though it won't be the cheapest option. It will help you get plants of the same size.

• prubo
    17 years ago

There is a new Lowe's in Union (Morris Ave, just E of Garden State Pkwy exit 140A). I just picked up some huge leatherleaf viburnums there for 13.95 ea. Alas only a few left, but they may be getting more. I have rarely seen these in any nursery.

• mprats
    17 years ago

When I was in Paris in November I saw a type of evergreen viburnum that was in full bloom! I have tried to research this a bit, and I think it may be Viburnum tinus, but I am not sure.
    I plan to order a couple of plants from Forest Farms and see if they do well in our weather.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County