Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum - where to buy

Posted by lisacdm 6bNJ (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 14, 06 at 13:03

I would like to buy about 10 evergreen type of Viburnum, in paticular Prauge (or suggest another type of evergreen Viburnum I'd appreciate it). Can anyone recommend a good source for this shrub? I live in Essex County.
Thanks,
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum - where to buy

Hildebrant's Nurseries 167 Oldwick Rd., Oldwick
Directions: 1 mi. north of Rt. 78
Phone: 908-439-2256
Available: Shrubs; trees; landscaping; evergreens; shade trees

it's not essex county (hunterdon?) Call first he's not open everyday but it's worth the trip. The owner is really helpful and can teach you a ton about any plant under the sun.

o

Hildebrant's - yes. Years ago I went to Mr. Hildebrant looking for a variety of shrubs, including Symphocarpus. He told me I'd was the only person who'd ever asked for it and proceeded to give me all of his Symphocarpus for cost - I think I got 6 good size plants.

I need to go see him about the alder I'm looking for. Thank you for reminding me of him - although I drive by everyday on my way to work I come home a different way and never thought of stopping there.

Yes, Lisa, do go visit Mr. Hildebrant.

o

Thanks for the help I'll call this week.

o

That sounds like a stop.

You might also call Fairfield Gardens in Fairfield on Route 46. They carry viburnums I think. It is not a hard shrub to find. A lot of nurseries will have it.

o

I was thrilled to stumble upon a big shipment of Prague Viburnum at Home Depot in Clifton last year. They were big plants for about $15 each. You never know when and where things will turn up!

o

Thanks for the tip. I live pretty close to Clifton so I can easily (except for that darn traffic cirle) check .

o

Fairfield didn't have that one yet. You can also have a nursery place an order for you. Many will do this though it won't be the cheapest option. It will help you get plants of the same size.

o

There is a new Lowe's in Union (Morris Ave, just E of Garden State Pkwy exit 140A). I just picked up some huge leatherleaf viburnums there for 13.95 ea. Alas only a few left, but they may be getting more. I have rarely seen these in any nursery.

o

• Posted by mprats z6NJ Plainfield (My Page) on
    Tue, May 2, 06 at 17:06

When I was in Paris in November I saw a type of evergreen viburnum that was in full bloom! I have tried to research this a bit, and I think it may be Viburnum tinus, but I am not sure.
I plan to order a couple of plants from Forest Farms and see if they do well in our weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here