Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here is the Other Rutgers event

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 13:06

Ag/Field day is April 26th - link below.
They sell plants as well as many other activities, great for kids.
I'm trying to remember from last year what they had in the way of plants, can't remember. Not as extensive as what you'll find at the official plant sale.

ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Ag/Field Day

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here is the Other Rutgers event

PS- It is the same day as the NJ Folk Festival- I have never gone, as I don't like crowds, but people who go, and who like that kind of music, say that it is a great event.

And if you're new to the area, or just have never gone, I do recommend the tour of the Rutgers gardens and Helyar woods, the latter is, I believe, an example of original forest and famous for that.

ellen

o

Glad you posted this one. I went last year and it was enjoyable. Again, bring a wagon and be prepared for a loooonnnngg walk. The plant selection was quite different from the May event. Lots of annuals and baskets, nice selection of herb and vegetable seedlings - some of them unusual varieties. I was hoping to get a Ramapo tomato seedling, but heard they sold out right away. A lot of these seedlings are grown by local Master Gardeners. They also sold some plants propagated from their greenhouses ... I bought two little fig trees.

There was a nice display on rain gardens, right in front of the one under construction. I hope they'll do that again this year.

There were vendors with all kinds of things - honey & wax products, baked and preserved goods, potpourri and herbal soaps, and, of course, plenty of food.

There was quite a crowd, but since it was spread out over such a large area, with plenty of open spaces, it really didn't feel so crowded.

It's a fun day.

o

The Great Tomato Tasting is scheduled for August 27th at the Experimental Farm in Pittstown.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rutgers for getting Ramapo back out on the market. I've had 2 so far and they have been delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here