Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseyjohn1

15th Annual Tomato Tasting...Rutgers

jerseyjohn
18 years ago

Rutgers Univ. Agricultural Extension in Pittstown, N.J., will hold their 15th Annual Tomato Tasting on Wednesday, August 31 this year!

Last year 135 varieties, mostly Heirloom and Open
Pollinated, were there to taste ! Several peppers and apples as well. Free admission, suggested donation is $3.00.

It's GREAT fun. For further info, you can call (908) 713-8980.

John

Comments (12)

• njtea
    18 years ago

Thanks, John. I'm going to put that on my calendar. It's late this year, isn't it? I wonder if there's a forecast for another cool, cloudy summer and therefore the tasting was scheduled late so the tomatoes would be ripe. I say that only half in jest.

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yea, Tea, well that's mother nature...makes me really appreciate it when a season fully cooperates !

Hopin' North Jersey has a season like we had last summer on the South Shore ! Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplants really delivered...fingers crossed for the next 5 months !

John

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Bumping this back up to the top. Really dont want to miss this any one have directions to this. A address would work to can trip map it.

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just called the number above, and tape confirmed the 15th Annual Tomato Tasting on Wednesday, August 31, from 3:00 - 8:00 PM.

Location of Snyder Research Facility of Rutgers is close to Route 513 near Pittstown, N.J. which is about 10 miles southeast of Phillipsburg/Easton. The town's so small, just ask anyone once you get there !

If you want seeds of a variety, suggest you just quietly slip a small tasting piece (already cut for people on plates) into a plastic storage bag, seal and mark bag...I ended up with several new varieties last year, dried the seeds at home, and they're looking great in the garden this year.

Finally, if they have them again, suggest you take the Hay Rides, showing/explaining the agricultural work they are doing on various vegetables.

John

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Sounds like fun. My little guy loves tomatoes, especially colorful ones. Hopefully we will be able to make it this year.

• jdnnj
    18 years ago

I grew up outside of Pittstown so I know the area quite well though I have not been to the farm ever though drove past it many times. If you are coming off of I78 you'll take Exit 15 and turn left at the end of the ramp continuing back in 78 and then through the 2 lights and then once you get to Pisstown and CR513 veers to the right after the Pittstown Inn you will continue straight which is now CR579 and its only a mile or two outside of Pittstown. The is a fairly large sign and just look for Locust Grove Road.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Map of Snyder Farm

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Recently received an e-mail update from Rutgers, and just FYI, this year's number of hybrid/heirloom combined varieties will be about 70 (last year 130-135). Doesn't matter for most normal people -- I mean, how many can you taste anyway ?

Directions included as well.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers 15th Great Tomato Tasting 8/31/05

• Bob_NJ
    18 years ago

Don't forget the south Jersey tomato tasting at the research farm in Upper Deerfield Twp. August 23 at 5pm plan to stay late and get to take home as many tomatoes as you can carry... Bob.

• jerseyjohn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bob,

Sounds great ! We could surely make it there.

Is this the division of Rutgers that is in the Bridgeton area ? Would you perhaps have a phone # we could call for directions?

Thanks very much.

John

• Bob_NJ
    18 years ago

The south Jersey tomato tasting is held at the Rutgers research farm in the township of Upper Deerfield. You can call them at 856-4553100. The farm is located on Northville rd which comes out on Rt 77 in the village of Seabrook... Bob.

• evan1
    18 years ago

So who went? I got there just as they were shutting it down due to storms.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I didn't. We ended up going to Rhode Island for a couple of days instead. So even1, did you even get to try any? I had a chance to help harvest the following week but that was my son's first day of school (I took their master gardener course so I get invited to these little projects from time to time). It isn't meant to be for me I guess.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022