Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsong72

Let it Rain...................

Birdsong72
17 years ago

Just what we needed, a nice soaking rain. Things are going to begin popping nicely this week with a warm up in the forecast.

I was able to clip all of the dead stalks of most of the perrenials (black eyed susan, echinecia, tickseed coreopsis, chrysanthemum, asters, phlox, joe pye weed, goldenrod, astilbe, etc) and was finishing up as the precip was still on the light side. All into the compost bin.

All of my Viburnums (juddi, numerous burkwoodii, carlessi, Korean spicebush), aronia, lilac, and flowering almond, leaves are sprouting, unfurling.

Daffodill, anemone, bluebell, primrose, hellebore are flowering, as are some PJM hybrids as well as mucronulatum Cornell Pink and Pink Panther still hanging in there after 2+weeks of flowering. My Rh. Mary Fleming is now aflower in it's apricot coat, and even my lawn (if you want to call it that.......well, the moss is turning a brilliant green with the moisture).

Enjoy the rain for what it provides. We truly need it and your gardens will prosper after this drink.

Have a glass of wine this afternoon, pore over some catalogues, put on some music and enjoy.......Spring is frenetic enough. This is but a welcomed pause

Comments (6)

• kitova
    17 years ago

yes, i can hear my plants singing today.. :) like you, i'm also totally happy about the rain! it's been so dry lately. come to think of it, a glass of wine wouldn't be a bad idea today.

although i've seen some magnolias that are already dropping their flowers (and some flowers going brown & rotting) from this seesaw weather. now that is rather sad..

• njtea
    17 years ago

Since I'm having surgery soon, I've had to scurry around and get all my spring work done as I won't be picking up anything or digging with a shovel for several weeks at a minimum.

All my pots are filled waiting to be planted with warm weather annuals, the garden is turned over and awaiting the tomatoes and ground cherries.

The flower beds have been raked and mulched and all last year's dead stems sent to the compost heap.

This weather - we've got snow up here - came along at a very auspicious time 'cause I need some time to just sit and relax before I hit the OR.

Now, when I get home, I can sit on the porch and watch the spring bird migration and the garden begin to grow and I won't have to do a thing (except get very frustrated that I can't buy any of the beautiful plants I'll see in the garden centers that I visit during my recuperation!)

Doc did say I can plant whatever I can put in a hole I have dug sitting on the ground. How long do you suppose it will take me to dig a hole with a trowel for a 1 gal. container? Oh, can't do that either 'cause I won't be able to pick up the container to get it to wherever I was going to dig the hole.

Just think of the money I'm going to save this year.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

Rain - Good! Snow - Bad!

NJTea, I am sorry you have to have an operation. I am wishing you a speedy recovery and a short time out of the garden. You know, I saw already today lots of cute things in 4 to 6" pots at Strawberry Blossom today - only $4.99. I bet you could get that in with a little bulb digger.

• JerseyJohn61
    17 years ago

NJTEA, hope all goes well and your recoop time is swift.

I had a tooth removed at the dentist this morning so
    was not in the mood for anything but relaxing this
    afternoon.

While in the waiting-room, folks were complaining
    about the rain. I gave them the same message; welcome
    the rain. It's been dry the last few months and with
    the sunshine and warmth promissed for the next few
    days, spring is poised to explode....JJ61

• njtea
    17 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes.

JJ61 - I'd take surgery anyday over having a tooth pulled - yuck! Hope you're feeling better today.

• Birdsong72
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good luck Tea. A speedy recovery. Look at it this way, you'll have the benefit of a different perspective this spring (from the porch). You'll be surprised as to "what you may SEE" from that vantage point

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County