Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleaseyelash

Windmill palm

fleaseyelash
13 years ago

I am in north jersey and have just planted a nice sized w.palm. Any one else in this part of state that has this in ground.

Comments (3)

• subtropix
    13 years ago

Fleaseyelash, are you in NJ or zone5/6 NY--it will really make a difference in offering you advise. I have two windmills in the ground (3rd year). I protected their trunks for the first two years but offered no protection for the past winter. They look much better this year than any previous year in the ground and are currently pushing new growth (they're about 4 feet tall). My zone is 7a and I am in immediate Metro NJ/NYC area. My success with Windmills has led me to begin experimenting with other cold hardy palms (Sabals, Butias, Needles, and Med. fans--all recently ground planted). What size is your palm--it matters. First couple of winters are probably crucial as well. Good luck!

• fleaseyelash
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am just north of paramus, plant is 2 ft. tall planted next to house.

• subtropix
    13 years ago

Should be okay. I have mine about 2-3 feet away from the house and the exposure is south. One gets filtered sun once the Japanese and Red Maple start to leaf out--the other gets direct sun--all year round. The one getting some filtered sun seems somewhat lusher green but both are doing well. I had them both in containers for a number of years until they outgrew the largest container then I realized that it would just be better to plant them in the ground than worry about them being in an excessively small container as once this happens it gets to be impossible to keep them adequately well-watered in the heat of the summer. I would start thinking about fertilizing if you have not done so already. A lot of people recommend Osmocote (get the formulation for foliage plants--higher in nitrogen--and not for vegetables or flowering). The makers of HollyTone do make an organic fertilizer especially formulated for palms "PalmTone" (I was able to purchase it locally last year--I guess the distributors made a mistake and shipped to this area.--This year no luck.) A lot of palm people recommend the occasional treatment with Espson salts. I forget the recommended dose (think it's something like 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water).I do this maybe once a month. If you are just north of Paramus, then your zone is more like 6 (possibly 6b--not 5). Windmills are really quite extraordinary palms, once established they can take regular bouts of subfreezing conditions in the Winter--leaves may sag and temporarily discolor but revert back to normal once temps pop back above freezing. These palms, in addition to Needles (Raphidophyllum, and Sabals) are beginning to turn up at local HD's and L's. Last year was the first time I saw them there. That's where I purchased the Needle (recently planted). Good luck!

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional