Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spotts_gw

Lilacs

Spotts
19 years ago

I am interested in planting lilacs in my backyard which gets plenty of afternoon sun. I was thinking of buying one online but was unsure where would be the best place to get one. I also live near Platts farm but I am unsure if they sell any...

Does anyone have any experience about growing lilacs that could give me a couple of tips. I am kind of new to gardening but my wife really likes the smell of them and we have a perfect spot in our yard.

appreciate any help!

Comments (15)

• wardw
    19 years ago

Try to find hybrids - ones the don't create millions of seeds. Most nurserys carry lilacs, the problem might be finding someone at a particular nursery who can tell you which kinds are sterile. If they're not, you could end up like me, with a 60 foot row of seedlings. I sure in the shrub forum you could find several experts who can name good varieties.

• Spotts
    Original Author
    19 years ago

wardw,
    Thanks for the advice. I am currently trying my luck in the shrub forum.

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

I would recommend you buy one in bloom. I understand that different varieties have different degrees of fragrance. I have a nice white one, and it has a nice fragrance, but not a knock-your-sox-off fragrance. The best is to find someone who has a beautiful lilac you love, and see if they would share a piece of it.

• Donna534
    19 years ago

Platts does sell lilacs. I have bought a few from them and they have great prices. Keep in mind the year after you plant it you won't get many blooms, if any, but the following year will be great. Good luck!

• Dilip_Nisraiyya
    19 years ago

Compare to HomeDepot & Lows, Walmart's cost of Lilac (for similar size plants) is 20 to 30% less.

• karen64
    19 years ago

Some get mildew in our area. Miss Kim does very well in our humidity. I would go with a mildew resistant variety.

• Dolli
    19 years ago

Where can I get a Miss Kim? I have spent most of the day searching the internet for this. I'm on the coast near Atlantic City.

• popsicle_toe
    19 years ago

Dolli,

If you live near lowes, they carry several varieties of Lilacs including Miss Kim. I just bought one yesterday myself. They have different sizes for you to choose. Walmart and HomeDepot also sell Lilacs although I understand some areas may have less selections than others. Good luck!

• Annie_nj
    19 years ago

Keep your receipt if you buy from the big box stores. Shrubs/tree from such places have a high rate of dying. But the price is right, or is it?

• vickster257
    19 years ago

Miss Kim is certainly a good size for a small yard, but my question to you: does it have a sweet fragrance as one of the larger varieties, maybe I should ask which variety is highly fragrant?

Vicki

• ellenh
    19 years ago

My Miss Kim is fragrant. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. As sweet, I really don't know, but nice.

Ellen

• karen64
    19 years ago

My Miss Kim is also wonderfully fragrant! I purchased a second one at Franks last Fall before they closed down and it is doing great as well. My first miss kim I purchased about 8 or 10 years ago at Ostrich Nursery in Robbinsville (outside of Hamilton/East Windsor). karen

• goldenbamboo
    19 years ago

I have to many of them different color. Also more other plants and flower, i am live in East Brunswick if you like can contact by Email first. Have a great day.

• Spotts
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey thanks for all the replies. I actually went out and bought a miss kim at HD for 10 bucks. Not bad. right now I have it potted on my deck (since it is small) and when I clean up the area and plant in the ground I will post a pic.

karen64 - isnt it a shame they had to close Franks. Man I loved that place. but I did get some GREAT deals on their closing sales!!!

• karen64
    18 years ago

Yea, I do miss Franks, you never knew what you might find there and what would go on sale. I like Columbus market now for that mysterious hunt. You can find people selling some flowers from out of their gardens on a good day.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH