Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nsm1311

Lemongrass, Where to Buy?

nsm1311
17 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to grow lemon grass for its medicinal purpose. But have not had much success in figuring where I can buy it from in NJ.

I live in the Hudson County. Any suggestions are welcome.

Here are some suggestions about lemongrass and its medicinal qualities.

I used lemongrass in teas to keep soar throats away.

Just boil some lemongrass and ginger leaves for a couple of minutes and use this as a hot tea. Adding Mint also helps.

You can also Dry the leaves in a paper bag and use them as needed. Though it is not as effective as the fresh leaves (just like the fresh vs. dry herbs).

Nita

Comments (10)

• jerseygirl9461
    17 years ago

Most produce areas in grocery stores carry lemongrass which is easily rooted, that is how I started my clump. if your grocery doesn't have it, check out any local Thai/Asian grocerer.

If you want actual plants, you may have to go mail order which can be dicey.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Same here. Find a piece as the grocery store, make sure it has a bit of the root (even if it is just a cut piece of the base, that's OK, it doesn't need actual roots) left on the bottom. Put it in a glass of water, and it will root in two weeks. Gently plant it in nice potting mix and watch it take off. It isn't winter hardy for me, so I bring it into the garage during the winter.

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank You, Diane NJ and JerseyGirl19461,

Will visit the asian market and get some This Weekend.

and I agree that it is not winter hardy and if you have a very sunny window then it is likely to grow there.

You could also easily divide it.

Nita

• maximus2015
    17 years ago

Try "Fairfield Garden Center" on RT. 46 (West) in Fairfield (Essex County). They have it .

• Birdsong72
    17 years ago

I purchase mine at Moulzon's in Lincroft as I use it regularly in my Thai cooking especially Mussels in Lemongrass and Basil...my favorite.

• orcuttnyc
    17 years ago

Your not terribly far from New York Citys Union Square farmers market. On saturdays, there is a large stand that sells lemon grass plants and just about all other herb plants. I'm going this weekend to get my annual nosturtium. They even carry Epazote. It's used in chili to curb gas :)

• nsm1311
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Thank you very much for all the locations.

I will probably make it in to NY this weekend and will definitely make it to the Union square Farmers market.

Nita

• Birdsong72
    17 years ago

on 2nd thought, i won't be purchasing it @ moulzon's. they are crazy over there. wanted $6.99 for lemongrass in a 2" pot!!!!!!!!!!!

their 'trick' coleus in 6" pots were $10/piece. I got same at gasko's for $3.

let the rich and stupid by their stuff over there. $2.99 for a 6 pack of flowers. unbelievable.

• dieule
    11 years ago

Dear sir
    We are Viet Delta Co., the leading exporter from Vietnam. We supply leaves of tapioca, lemongrass, pomelo, chili, lemon in many style: frozen, fresh, minced, cut, dried, etc
    Please let us have your full requirement if you are interested our products
    Thanks and best regards,
    Nhung Nguyen (Ms)
    Viet Delta Co., Ltd
    20/5 Dinh Bo Linh, Ward 24, Binh Thanh District,
    Ho Chi Minh City .
    Tel: 84.8.35114928
    Fax:84.8.38998085
    Sales exporter
    Email: sales19@vdelta.com.vn

• mkcy87
    8 years ago

Just buy online at www.theasialeaf.com i always get my lemon grass there.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio