Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scojophoto_gw

recommendation for good urban tree.

scojophoto
16 years ago

Looking to plant a tree in the sidewalk in front of my house in Hoboken. Can anyone suggest an appropriate tree to put there and where I might purchase one?

Comments (6)

• yourpal
    15 years ago

Gingko is a good tree for urban areas such as Hoboken. In fact, there is a grove of them in one of the parks lining the Hudson. Articles differ as to how many are planted... one says 36, one says 40, another says 53, but they are planted to honor those Hoboken residents who died on 9/11. Take a look for them and see if they fit your requirements.

Female gingkos are reported to be smelly and to drop messy, staining fruits, so a male is the better choice. The leaves are pretty cool; they're all over Manhattan. Don't know specifically where you'd find one to buy in your area but as gingkos (gingko biloba) are not uncommon and are popular urban trees, I'd think they're readily available at most nearby purveyors of trees.

Another choice would be a European Hornbeam. They're columnar in shape and good for areas with compacted soil and other urban conditions. Probably also readily avaiable. Google it and see if you like the form.

• scojophoto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love Gingkos (male) but thought the trunk might become too massive as it matures no? Perhaps in the limited amount of soil a tree pit offers it would not grow so large - but I really have no idea. Do you know about surface roots breaking up the sidewalk? Trying to avoid this too of course. Thanks so much for you insight!

• alexnjzone7
    15 years ago

Hmmm...

I think a Mimosa would not only look nice, but smell heavenly also. Maybe a Tulip tree, or a crepe myrtle?

• dopeonplastic
    15 years ago

Tulip trees can grow huge. Like 200 feet huge. Plus they drop flower/bulb things. I think a hornbeam would be a great tree. They will have some for sale at the Rutgers Gardens Plant Sale this weekend. We had a bunch of Sycamore on our block in Bayonne when I lived there. Nice trees, but they drop alot of thin bark, so you have to rake/sweep it onto would neighbor's property every so often.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    15 years ago

There are a lot of choices. Maybe you should at least narrow it down by size and width of canopy.

• scojophoto
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much!

I've learned my town only allows certain trees in "pits" and I've settled on a Ginkgo. A MALE Ginkgo. I've heard the stories about the females - no thank you! A slow grower that can become enormous in maturity - I'm hoping the limited root space a street tree can expect will curb it's growth somewhat.

Anybody seen any mature Ginkgos in tree pits?