Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roses4ever_gw

Merchantville/Pennsauken Area

roses4ever
17 years ago

I've never posted to this forum but thought I would give it a try. I am a gardening addict - have been for some 20+ years. Have been living in the Merchantville/Pennsauken area for about 8 years, originally from Louisiana. Would like to touch base with other gardeners in the area. I do more of a cottage garden style, lots of roses and perennials

Anyone out there?

Melinda

Comments (17)

• lucyk
    17 years ago

Hi Melinda - I live in Moorestown not far from Mechantville/Pennsauken. I am also a gardener, both inside and outside plants. I have been working outside for hours and hours, redoing one bed and cleaning out many others after a couple of years of neglect. More on that later. Good to see someone from the other part of Jersey!

• inthegarden
    17 years ago

Hello Melinda,

I mostly lurk on the Forums, bu have been a member for a while. Great to know there are others in South Jersey who enjoy gardening as I do. I adore roses, perennials and a very casual cottage style type of garden. I have only lived in my home for two years, so it is very much a work in progress. I am located in Pittsgrove, Salem County on half an acre. Have a sister in Cherry Hill and I used to live there also, so am very familiar with your area.

I spend much of my free time out in my garden and currently have seven rose bushes to plant that just arrived mail order. Very few of my friends or neighbors are as crazy about gardening as I am, so it is mainly a solo hobbly for me.

Donna

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So glad to hear from some people in the area. I was beginning to think I was the only one out there! We have lived where we are now for 7 years this fall and have been working on my garden since then. I have found that I am about the only one in my area as crazy about gardening as I am. This time of year my husband just knows not to expect too many large meals and the housecleaning is with a "lick and a promise". Gardening is my passion! I have close to 80 roses in my garden now, mostly David Austins and Old Garden Roses. My roses are loaded with buds right now.

Glad to hear from both of you.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

Since you all are interested in roses, I'm going to stick in a plug recommending the West Jersey Rose Society's Rose Show, June 3 @ 1:00 at the Echelon Mall in Voorhees (in the atrium outside of what used to be Strawbridges). The West Jersey society has a lot of old garden rose growers, and there will be a large display of once-bloomers that you can see (and smell) and ask questions about growing. If you go, I'll be around somewhere, I'll be wearing a "Jersey Shore Rose Society" polo shirt.

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for the invite. I think I just might take you up on that! I see on your page that you fight some of the same problems I'm sure all roses growers around here fight. Blackspot (coming from Louisiana I'm quite used to) and Japanese Beetles. I never had such a problem with Japanese Beetles back in Louisiana. They can absolutely destroy your second round of roses here! I too spray regularly for blackspot and spray insecticides as needed. I have too many roses not to. But the Japanese Beetles are some bad little devils! What do you find works best for the treatment of these?

I look forward to locating you at the Rose Show.

• inthegarden
    17 years ago

Diane,

Thanks for the notice, I believe I am off work on June 3rd,
    would really like to attend the Rose Show. I have always wanted to go to one of the West Jersey Rose Society Shows but never have. I will bring my daughter, she loves going to Malls. Wait until she finds out its for a Rose Show, groan....

Donna

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    17 years ago

For JBs, imidicloprid (AKA Merit) is the insecticide of choice these days. I use Bayer Advanced Rose & Flower Insect Killer Concentrate. I didn't have a bad infestation last year, but I know others did.

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Diane - I'll give it a try this year, because I know I won't be fortunate enough to not have them again.

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

I'm in Cherry Hill, and don't get to the forums as much as I'd like. I have mostly shade, so don't have many roses.

Please try to get to Steve's swap. He has a lovely garden, and good food is always acceptable if you don't have much to trade.

• oksanakazan
    17 years ago

Hi, everyone. I'm from South Jersey as well.
    Thank you Diane for information about Rose show.
    Will do my best to be here, smell roses and meet you.
    2 years ago you help me recognize one of my unknown
    Rose. It was "Peace". Since then I always look for your name,
    read your advices and follow them.
    It very early start this spring. Everything is ready to bloom
    or already blooming.
    Just want to share with you guys picture one of my favorite
    old-fashioned lilac Madame Lemoine:
    Oksana.

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My first photos of the 2006 Garden:

• inthegarden
    17 years ago

Melinda,

Your garden looks great. It appears you have quite a green thumb. I would love to see more pictures of your garden.

Donna

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna thank you! I will be posting more pictures as things progress. I love taking pictures of my roses and it won't be long before they really start popping! I can't wait!!!

• fmart322
    17 years ago

Roses4ever, I lived in Pennsauken for 30 years at 3849 Union ave right next to the Railroad tracks (my backyard backed up to the PYAA field). I had a great bird garden going on over there with all natural plants. Where at in the Penn/Merch area are you at?

I live in Cinnaminson now and have a corner lot that's like a blank canvas. Again, I'm trying to plant natives and see what happens. My neighbors have all the bigger tree's and I only have smaller ones, and I like that.

• roses4ever
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am off Cove a couple of blocks in the Collins Tract area.

• fmart322
    17 years ago

I like that area. All the big old homes there make you feel like you live in the past. Most of them are loaded with mature tree's and landscaping. It's a shame that the old oaks are getting a blight because that area was loaded with them. Just like my old house was.

Oh well, happy gardening :)

• jeanjeanjellybean
    17 years ago

I'm in Moorestown - I hear you on those beetles! I don't have that many roses, it's my raspberries they attack. I hand-pick them. I was squeemish about it at first but am ruthless about it now. I found if I hand pick them every day for about two weeks (early morning is best because they're too wet with dew to fly) they're gone for the summer. I bring a glass jar with water and a bit of dish detergent to scoop them into, or if I don't have the jar, I just crush them.

I think they'll be easier to find on roses than on my raspberry bushes - the little devils are good at hiding!

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets