Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topnotchveggie

Garden Centers - Greenhouses - Big Box Stores - Specialty Stores

topnotchveggie
18 years ago

I am interesting in learning about any retailers (consumer or wholesale) that sell gardening products (supplies,seeds, soils) at lower (discount) prices. What are some of your favorites? If so, please add thier contact information including website etc. if applicable.

Comments (7)

• inguvap
    18 years ago

I am not looking to get into any arguments by saying this but I usually buy garden products from wal-mart or homedepot. For example, Wal-mart started selling Superthrive and Alaskan Fish emulsion last year (at least in a local store) and They are 20 to 25% cheaper than anywhere else. But If need good plants like Camellia, Wisteria or any other special plants, I would go to local nurseries. I live in East Windsor and I like to go to Ostrich Farms in Robinsville, Tony's and Timothy's on Rt 130, Hagerty's in Cranbury, Cominsky's and CornerCopia in East Windsor. I also go to Brock Farms in Freehold. All these nurseries are prettly good and not very expensive but I still compare prices with Walmart and HD before I buy any fertilizers and stuff.
    Padma.

• Kathy
    18 years ago

Brocks! We're heading down there and to Dearborn Farms tomorrow.

To be honest, I shop all over. We bought 12 boxed roses at Dearborn Farms last spring, but I got some really nice potted roses in Lowe's (Woodbridge, Jersey City, and Old Bridge) and Wal-Mart (Secaucus, Cinnamonson, and Old Bridge) -- all of them did really well, and have leafed out like crazy this spring.

Like you, I've been buying Superthrive at Wal-mart (it's not out yet, and I don't have all that much left right now -- and not every store had it, either) as well as fish emulsion. We got some great annuals there to fill in the gaps in the plants we bought in Van Wingerden's and Gro-Rite up in Lincoln Park.

I get potting soil for my containers and garden soil to beef up the beds in Lowe's, and I get mulch there, too. I get pots and little plastic garden fencing in Wal-Mart. Home Depot was disappointing last year, especially since we'd gotten some wonderful roses there in the past (in Clifton and Woodbridge). But Clifton's garden center has gone -way- downhill, and Woodbridge isn't what is used to be.

But none of them compare to Hoverman's, now sadly closed.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Stuff like standard Bayer or Ortho products, I go to the boxes or WalMart. Costco and BJ's usually have the big bag of Holly Tone, otherwise I'll get it at Becker in Colts Neck. Becker and Brock also have pieces that fit my drip irrigation system. Brock has many items that I usually have to mail order, so that's good. Oh, Forcelatti's in Wall (just a bit north on 35 from the Circus Drive-In) is good in a pinch. I don't do many annuals, and I get most perennials (roses) via mail, but Sickles has a nice discount on roses on their Rose Day, and I might pick up a couple there. There are a couple more small hardware stores in the area I need to check out just for general info. The Plant Outlet in Red Bank carried a nice selection, but they have closed.

• hvenkatr
    18 years ago

Hi guys,
    I am logging back after almost a year..
    I shop alll over as well.. I live in west windsor and some times I travel as far as Barnegat or North Jersey to pick up plants..
    Happy gardening!

• Kathy
    18 years ago

Diane, when is Sickel's having their Rose Day?

I got fie roses yesterday -- three in Brock's on Route 9 (10% off J&P boxed roses), two in Dearborn Farms (they opened their new greenhouse, which is really an expansion of their retail floor space). We had really good luck with the boxed babies we got at Dearborn Farms last year (and, surprisingly, with the potted roses we got at Wal-Mart).

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Kathy, it's Saturday, May 8th.

• Kathy
    18 years ago

Thanks, Diane.

May 8th, huh? That's the week in between the Derby and the Preakness -- I won't be glued to the TV. I wonder if my husband can get off work.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting