Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

What's blooming for you? [besides bulbs] and what have you bought

I found my pasque plant blooming today. It was so beautiful, esp because not expected.

Everything else seems slow, behind where it was last year at this time. Anyone else finding this?

My sedums are up, and butterfly bush has some few leaves, but many perennials seem dead, altho I'm sure they're not.

So today I bought - Pincushion, a white verbena and a third which I forget its name - new to me. I'm going to wait til the end of the week to put them in. Hopefully it will be warm enough.

ellen

Comments (27)

• mrs_ski
    18 years ago

i have a yellow daisy-ish plant called Leopards Baine.. its been green all winter, but its budding (its a early spring plant). one of them is going to have open blossoms in the next week or so (i hope)

• Just1LittlePosey
    18 years ago

catnip, sedum (autumn joy), chives, hosta, lambs ears, sweet woodruff, huchera, and an assortment of perennials I picked up in a firesale last fall, planted but forgot to label!

• vickster257
    18 years ago

Violas in my potager, and everywhere they pop up; love them but not everywhere.

Received a small order (7) daylilies from G.H. WILD and dug this awful clay and mixed in all of the good stuff, finally planting 5 of them. It's so windy where we live and will finish that job tomorrow upon my return home from the Garden Club meeting. Also, I bought a new red maple tree and am very excited about it, but need to hire someone to dig an adequate hole, then plant it. Perhaps, a highschool student.

Vicki

• joolz
    18 years ago

The tree blossoms are on their way! IÂm hoping to put a new picture up every day.

Happy spring! IsnÂt the weather so wonderful now?
    --Joolz

Here is a link that might be useful: My Aristocrat Pear tree

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

In the nonbulb catagory: Arabis, pulmonaria, Jasminum nudiforum, pieris japonica, forsythia, hellebores and some petasites might still be there. Also, magnolia buds are coloring up and ready to go...
    Have only bought pansies so far but have plans...

• ginadc
    18 years ago

Other than bulbs: catmint and irises are up, stachys, perennial geraniums, astilbe, peonies, tall garden phlox (David) and a few other things I can't yet identify. (We are in a "new to us" 1894 Victorian with lovely gardens planted by the previous owner, who left me a list but not a map, so I'm still figuring out where and what things are!)

There's also lots of new growth on roses and some on the clematis, and plenty of fresh green on the lilac bushes.

Haven't bought anything yet, but that will change this weekend. I have plans for a shade garden in the one area the previous owner hadn't yet planted, and I also have some spaces in the existing beds where I'm hoping to put in some foxgloves, lupines, columbines, canterbury bells, and a few other things. I have this passion for the tall spiky plants, so I have to make sure I mix them up with some medium and lower-growing options!

• njtea
    18 years ago

Helleores, pulmonaria, as with Loretta, the magnolia is just about to pop as is the crabapple, Prairie Fire, colts foot in wild places. I see trout lily leaves, no flowers yet, and spring beauties are ready.

Has anyone in Northern NJ had any luck with Saponaria, soap wort? I've tried it in a variety of places and just can't get it to carry through from year to year. Any and all hints at how to be successful with it would be greatly appreciated.

• jimcnj
    18 years ago

Jeffersonia diphylla, Stylophorum diphyllum, Claytonia virginica, hellebores, Lindera Benzoin and Erythronium americanum

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Soapwort was a biennial for me. I didn't have it in the best place either. jimcnj, you have an interesting list there.

I forgot a few more bloomers- Sarcococca hookeriana var. humilis, Asarum europeum and another evergreen ginger with spearshaped mottled leaves - forget the name.

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

Our magnolia tree is blooming beautifully. Also forsythia.

• noramcd
    18 years ago

The Magnolia and the Forsythia are both blooming. A Trillium is just showing color (red), as are the Epimediums. The Hellebore is about to (show color -- it has tons of buds), and the Stylophorum has buds. One lonely Viola left over from last year is blooming as well -- cutie face:-) I also see buds on the tree peonies, teeny tiny buds on the Androsace, Pulmonaria, Dicentra and Tiarella... Tons of things are up. Lots of things that I think should be up, aren't. This year seems slow to me too, but maybe I'm just impatient:-) I don't keep a garden diary, so this is purely subjective on my part.

I purchased some violas for the pots by my front door. Now all I have to do is plant them...

• Katrinawitch
    18 years ago

My hosta have popped up, my daylilies have popped, as have my peonies. The previous owner of our house loved bulbs, and there are a ton of daffies, grape hyacinth, and regular hyacinth blooming or getting ready to bloom. I've never been much of a bulb person, but they sure do add color at this time of year.

We have a couple of beautiful forsythia bushes that are thriving, and they just bloomed over the last couple of days.

Oh, and my lily-of-the-valley is starting to peep up out of the ground. I had transplanted about 3 bunches underneath my forsythia in the fall, and it looks like they survived the transplanting!

I planted a variety of pansies in my barrels in front. I just love their colors, and they thrive for me until late June, when they start getting too leggy. Gosh, I'm so happy spring is here.

• ladychroe
    18 years ago

Pretty dry spring, don't you think? I reseeded my lawn and I'm finding that I have to water it EVERY day. And no rain in the next 7 day forecast either.

• ourbackyard
    18 years ago

Along the stream, Marsh Marigold.

• mrs_ski
    18 years ago

the seeds from last years morning glories (that snuck into my garden during the fall clean-up) have started to come up.

so many in fact that im going to leave them where they are for a few more weeks before transplanting them where i want them...

• ginadc
    18 years ago

Hostas are up now for me as well. Lilacs are well budded, as are a few of the peonies--I'm guessing blooms within the next 2 weeks. Moss phlox is starting to bloom. I swear I can actually see one clematis climbing its arbor!

• Katrinawitch
    18 years ago

I just noticed my geraniums and sedum are up and getting very large. The geranium has beautiful pink flowers on it already.

And ginadc, I swear my clematis is growing several inches a day! I'm training it up an archway, and every evening when I come home from work I see it winding its way up!

• pontesmanny
    18 years ago

I have a few camellias - April Dawn, April Remembered, and Kumasaka that are blooming. Also magnolias Ann and Jane. Pieres Valley Rose and Valley Valentine

• figtreeundrgrnd
    18 years ago

Clematis have buds about to burst open...much to my surprise! Peonies are full of buds.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

My clematis Josephine has buds as does one of my peonies. Besides my bulbs, my creeping phlox, candytuft, magnolia, weeping cherry, violas, bleeding heart, and forsythia are all in bloom. My columbine and lilacs have budded too. Mom & Dad also have money plant blooming. And last but not least, my dandelions are also in full bloom :(

• ginadc
    18 years ago

I'd give our peonies and lilacs anywhere between 3 days and a week, depending on weather, before the first ones start to bloom. Of about a dozen columbines, only one has a bloom so far. The "clematis that ate New Jersey" is still flying up the trellis. Creeping phlox is now blooming, while the daffodils are all pretty well done. Tulips look like they're ready to bloom, but I think they got bitten a bit with the late snowstorms...they don't look nearly as thick or healthy as the daffs did.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Let's see, now its getting numerous. Are we still listing?
    In addition, kerria, brunneria, pulmonaria, bergeria, epimediam, viburnum carlesi, hellebore hybrid, spirea Ogon, bleeding hearts, the daphnes are budding, violas, veronica Georgia Blue, Foam flowers are in bud, dogwoods, a cyclamen I overwintered but is in the garden - does that count?(the smaller flowered florist cyclamen plants do great in the garden and just need to come in before freezing), violets, pussytoes, ajuga is budding, creeping charly and dandelions. Plus another weed I foolishly brought hope last year. and then I bought a few things....I won't count those.

BTW, if you can find the viola Tiger Eyes, its fragrant. So is Etain - both which I bought.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Just noticed my Lilacs are opening and I have a little rhodie Mary Flemming finally blooming after three years of waiting. And Skimmia is also fragrant.

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Haven't bought a thing. What's blooming (other than daffodills?): Primrose, Hellebores (both fodealis & orientalis), bleeding hearts (both pink & white), trilliums (red) are about to bloom, Jap. Quince, Vib. (???), Rh. mucronulatum, Rh. mucro 'Pink Panther', Rh. Tarus, Rh. Mary Fleming (a 5' beauty), Rh. Yellow Eyes, Rh. Shamrock, Rh. Shlippenbachii, 3 Redbud Trees are about to go off as well.

Black earth live again
    -BW

• Valiche
    18 years ago

New to this forum. Thought I'd share. I've got:
    Forsythia
    Quince (I never get fruits from this thing)
    Wisteria
    Unknown Azaleas
    Hepatica
    Tons of violets in my lawn!!
    euphorbia (sp.?)
    Lily of the Valley

I haven't bought a single thing and don't intend on it. Since discovering winter sowing (another forum on this site) I have way more seedlings that I could ever have dreamed.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Forsythia is almost done.
    Blue Flag Iris in full bloom.
    Lilac any day now, I noticed that it is fully leafed out, I haven't had time to exmine it for flower buds.
    Purchased: Roses (of course), too many for my tiny bed. One new mundane Munstead lavender. Will see what Sickles has on Saturday (Rose Day there on Saturday, BTW). Seriously considering going to Brock Farms for dianthus. Wondering if I'm brave enough to go to Gasko's on Sunday (probably not).

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Forsythia
    Flowering Pear
    Wheeping Cherry
    Viburnum

Some one had the most beautiful dark Purple Iris blooming today. Was doing some serious rubber necking to see them as drove by them at a good 45 mph.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner