Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcmovingon

Crape Myrtle heights/colors in Hunterdon Cty

Kathy Chaconas
13 years ago

Hello,

I'd like some guidance on crape myrtle growth here in Hunterdon. First, do they actually die back if rated zone 7/root hardy zone 6? I'm thinking of planting a red crape but only want one that gets 10-15' tall. So my choices seem to be:

- Tonto

- Cheyenne

- Victor

if I stick to the stated heights. But if the plants die every winter, then would a taller variety also be suitable? All the red varieties I've found locally are bigger ones like Siren Red that grow 20+.

Also, my preference is for one that's begonia red and doesn't have the yellow flower in the middle. Are there any varieties that meet my criteria?

Thanks for any help.

Kathy

Comments (3)

• steve_nj
    13 years ago

Crape myrtles are hardiest in well-drained soil with low Nitrogen. In other words, don't overfertilize. You'll probably get some dieback the first year or two and in subzero winters. They'll probably do better in the southern part of the county. A heavy winter mulch applied in December & removed in March will also help during the first few years. Will it be sheltered by the house? Victor only gets to 5' after about 15 years. Tonto is a good choice.

• Kathy Chaconas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Steve,

Well, the tree would be sheltered somewhat depending on the direction of the wind. It'll be at the top of a slight hill on the south side of the house, but since it will be on the other side of the sidewalk, it won't be tucked right up against the house.

Have you seen a Tonto up close and personal? If so, would you call it red or is it really more on the pink side?
    I'm in Raritan Twp...is that far enough south?

Thanks for the response!
    KC

• ellie1857
    13 years ago

When I moved here from Texas five years ago, I really missed the beautiful crepe myrtles. While shopping at my local HD I found a couple of white ones on clearance. White is not my favorite color but I figured for 20 bucks, I would try them. They have done very well and I live farther north than you. The are slow to bud and the bloom season is much shorter than Texas, but I love them! My variety is Natchez. According to the tag they should reach 20 feet. Not true! Mine have been in the ground 4 years and are only about 6 feet tall. (they were 4 feet when planted) I doubt they will ever reach 20 feet in this climate.....too short of a growing period....so take that into consideration. Good luck!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES