Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Peonies

njtea
17 years ago

I have not been to this place, but hear that it is very interesting. The site is in Bernardsville and is open Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peonys in Bernardsville

Comments (12)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Do they offer by cultivar or by colors?

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't have an answer to that question, Loretta. I won't get over there until later in the spring. When I do, I'll let you know.

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

Great name.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Ploch's in Clifton got some purple tree peonies in, going for $34.95. They're not the greatest looking plants, but they did have a bud or two. Myself & 2 coworkers went at lunchtime and took 5. They had about 8-10 left. There's a coupon at their website too; $10 off $50 and $20 off $100.
    www.plochs.com

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Grrrrr; ours weren't purple, they were pink. Still though, large, fragrant blooms...

• fmart322
    16 years ago

I have 5 of them. 3 of them bloom with lots of flowers but 2 of them just get the follege. What's wrong with those 2? Any help? I'll send pics.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

fmart322; the only think I can think of is that either the 2 with foliage are either:
    -too young
    -not enough sun
    -buried too deep
    Other than that, I'm clueless.

• kitova
    16 years ago

hi njtea, i saw an ad for peony's envy in the local community paper i get. i've been wanting to go too! i've been pushing my DH to go with me this weekend, if i do, will report on what they have (despite me being a very big peony novice). on the other hand, for any clematis die-hards out there, i found some gallon-size clematis for $6 at bardy farms in warren!

Here is a link that might be useful: deal on clematis @ bardy farms

• fmart322
    16 years ago

Tracey,

They may be in to deep. That could be it because they are the same age as the others and get the same sun. I'll have to look at them and see.

• kitova
    16 years ago

hi njtea, just popped to peony's envy in bernardsville this weekend and thought i'd report back on what it was like. the location is at a private residential property actually, which throws you off at first. they have a large property - looks like 5 acres or so. this is run by a couple (actually rather the wife) who has a peony obsession like nothing i've seen! all of them are named (with chinese names i can't remember) and there are hundreds of peonies planted over a 1 acre plot started ~5 years ago. i guess it started as peony love and has developed into a business. this is her first year running it. when we visited, the peonies are just starting to opening up, i bet with the hot weather, her garden will peak this weekend.

took a quick look at prices. don't remember exactly, but herbaceous peonies run $20-something potted i think. they go for slightly less bareroot in the fall (3-5 eyes). tree peonies run $42 for a pot (small 2-3 year grown i think) and $39 bareroot in fall. she also sells cut flowers at $5 per stem. i'm not very knowledgeable about peonies but looks like she's got some nice varieties there - from anemone types to bomb types. i fell in love with a bomb type that was called shue feng (snow peak) but of course no more sunny spaces in my garden. it was a pleasure to have her walk around with us a bit and talk peony talk and give us a little education about them - she sounded kind of like me when i gush about my clematis! anyway, so it was fun - she is just starting up so not sure exactly how many she had dug up to sell yet, or whether she will dig up a particular plant you want right thtere. we did it kind of as a tour of her gardens.

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a great report, Kitova! Thank you. Now I'm really going to make an effort to get there.

• njtea
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I stopped in today - what a wonderful place! Did you happen to see the magnificent yellow peony, Kitova?

I asked if she had a peony called "Raspberry Sundae" - she did but is not yet offering it for sale. She referred me to the site at the link below.

Kitova, you might want to take a look because not only are some wonderful peonies (or is it peonys?) offered, but there are 59 varieties of clematis as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis and peonys