Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pineapple guava in NJ?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 20:51

It would be grown in the southern most part of the state, zone 7b; zone 7b for NJ is also in a coastal area (at least where I'd be thinking about growing it)

I'd like to be able to grow it in the ground, in a warm area; would it need protection of any kind? I've looked at the climate of southern NJ and it's considerably less harsh and the temps are lower (BY COMPARISON) to where I live now.

Would I be able to get fruit from it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pineapple guava in NJ?

I've tried it outdoors a number of times. It's hardy to the low to mid teens, below which it defoliates and dies back. Resprouts though.Definitely more tender than Laurus nobilis and Trachycarpus. Mine is in the open. If planted on the South side of a building and protected on the coldest nights, it should do reasonably well. Probably better suited to a tub which can be moved to a cold, but above freezing garage for winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here