Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evan1_gw

My Tomato list for this year

evan1
19 years ago

All the seeds are sown. Here's my list. I am going to borrow space from a few relatives and try and plant at least one of them all. Quite a jump up from last year. I tried to drum up interest in a veggie swap on the exchange page and at the Tomato forum but not alot of interest. What is everyone else going with this year? Bropaul- you usually have an extensive list. I'm trying Pruden's Purple this year based on your feedback here.

Amish Paste

Anna Russian

Aunt Rubys German Green

Banana legs

Big Rainbow

Black from Tula

Black Krim

Black Cherry

Black Pear

Black Maur

Bloody Butcher

Bulls Heart

Bychok

Carrot

Chernomor

Cherokee Green

Cherokee Chocolate

Cherokee Purple

Cherry Brandywine

Costoluto Genovese

Cuor di Bue

Cuostralee

Dr Wyche's Yellow

Emerald Evergreen

Eva Purple Ball

Faux

Garveys Spanish Plum

Genoa Ribbed Italian

German Red Strawberry

Giant Belgian

Giant Syrian

Gipsy

Glory of Moldova

Golden Jubilee

Grandfather Ashlock

Green Pineapple

Green Zebra

Green Sausage

Health Kick

Heidi

Herman's Yellow

Hillbilly

Hugh's Yellow

Hungarian Oxheart

Jersey Devil

Kellogs Breakfast

Kosovo

Lucky Cross

Lutescent

Lyana

Moldovan Green

Mortgage Lifter

Mr Stripey

Nectarine

Nicky Crain

Noir de Crosebeuf

Novogosahry

Olena's Ukrainian

Olomovic

Opalka

Orange Russian 117

Oxheart

Palla Di Fuoco

Paul Robeson

Persey

Pineapple

Polish C

Pridnestrovie New

Prudens Purple

Purple Calabash

Purple Russian

Ramapo F2

Red Ruffled

Red Penna

Reifs Red Heart

Roman Candle

Russian 117

Russian Heart

Sandul Moldovan

Sandul

Silvery Fir Tree

Slavic masterpiece

Soldacki

Speckled Roman Paste

Stupice

Teton de Venus

Tiffen Mennonite

Violaceum Krypno-Rozo

Watermelon Beefsteak

Wisconsin 55

Wolford Wonder

Yellow Ruffled

Yellow Oxheart

Zapotec Ribbed

Comments (42)

• njtea
    19 years ago

What does one DO with all those tomatoes? Do you market them or just use them at home?

I'm growing Brandywine Suddeth and Dr. Wyche's.

• ladychroe
    19 years ago

Are you out of your mind?

• mulchwoman
    19 years ago

Wow. You sure must have a lot of space! I lost my tomatoes last year to wilt, so this year I am planting "Celebrity" which is supposed to be pretty resistant to everything. Let's hope so.
    Pat

• evan1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Not out of my mind, just hope I can tend to everything. I've enlisted a few people to "rent out" to me some planting space. I can do about 60 plants myself, the other 40 or so will go to them. My goal is to try one of each. I grew 30 odd varieties last year so this is quite a jump up.

I give tons away to friends and family and dabbled in canning last year for the first time. I may also donate some to a food bank this year.My 7 year old has discovered the garden and is my companion in this endeavor. We have alot of fun together.

I know there are others here on this forum that grow just as many, if not more, varieties. Most of these are new to me this year.

NJTea-Brandywine Sudduth had a good year for me last year, the best in the 4 or so years I've grown it. I left it off my list this year, although I do have seeds. Hmmm... Here's hoping for another good year all the way around.

• MLcom
    19 years ago

Evan is going to have lots to swap! Goodness, we do need a swap going in NJ, or two. In south Jersey here.

• wardw
    19 years ago

Isn't that 90 plus tomatoes? Let say it's a bad year and only 1/2 lb per day is harvested - that's 45 lbs per day. In a 60 day season that's 2700 lbs of tomatoes. Having said that, I'd love to try the same thing.

But the question was:"My tomato list this year."
    Pink Brandywine, Brandywine OTV, Ozark Pink, John Baker, Ramapo F2, Large Pink Bulgarian, Purple Cherokee. I thought that was a good list, but now I'm suffering from variety envy.

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

hmm.

new this year
    Cherokee Purple
    Cuostralee
    Jaune Flammee
    Mortgage Lifter

tried and liked before
    Sungold
    Aunt Ruby's German Green
    Kellogg's Orange Breakfast
    Black Prince (last chance, sickly last year but good fruit)
    Pruden's Purple
    Principe Borghese

Last year very little ripened and then pow! I ended up taking 20 pounds to a family reunion at the beginning of August.

Evan, you are...a little overboard. but I'd love to come to a tomato sandwich picnic :-)

Ward if you are growing anything Evan isn't, pat yourself on the back - only way to go - he might be saying, arg I missed one!

Lisa

• evan1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wardw- How does Brandywine OTV do for you? I have that on my to grow list, never got around to getting seeds this year.

• wardw
    19 years ago

Brandywine OTV is moderately productive most years, a little better than the standard pink. It has more uniform fruit than the standard, and they are more red. I really like the taste. If you were nearby,I'd give you a plant or two. There are always extras of most tomatoes, and even after all these years, I still feel for the plants that get composted.

• Kathy_Z6_NJ
    19 years ago

That's a great list, Evan1! Wish I had the room for that many ! I truly understand the madness that takes over; making you want to try this one and that one. I've been making lists since last summer, which of course, I've lost by this spring! Some of these are new and some I had last summer (can't judge anything on last summer! terrible year!)
    I'll have 33 this year, 24 in the ground and the rest in containers:

Akers West Virginia
    Andrew Raharts Jumbo Red
    Arkansas Traveler
    Aunt GinnyÂs Purple
    Azoychka
    Black Cherry
    Black from Tula
    Brandywine, OTV
    Brandywine, Sudduth
    Cherokee Purple
    Chris Ukrainian
    Crnkovic Yugoslavian
    Cuostralee
    Dr Wyche
    KelloggÂs Breakfast
    Large Pink Bulgarian
    MariannaÂs Peace
    Milkas Red Bulgarian
    Noire Charbonneause
    Olena Ukrainian
    OmarÂs Lebanese
    Pearly Pink Cherry
    Pink Ping Pong
    Polish C
    Red Barn
    Reisenstraube
    Russian #117
    Rutgers
    Snow White
    SophieÂs Choice
    Tommy Toe
    Victoria
    Zogola

(I am green with envy on the Ramapo F2, evan & ward!!!!)

Every year we have plenty to eat and plenty to share. One of these years, maybe this one, I'm going to attempt to can some.

• vickster257
    19 years ago

Kathy,

What is the size of your containers? I cannot extend the size of my postage stamp size veggie garden because of the lawn. Who needs a lawn, right? LOL

A GW member was kind enough to trade some tomato, bean and pepper seeds with me. I do not have Brandywine OTV so maybe next year.... My list is not handy right now but may post it later.

Vicki

• Loretta NJ Z6
    19 years ago

Well, I don't exactly know what I am going to do with them all yet but have some ideas:
    Flamme/Hillbilly (marked like that on a trade)
    Ugly tomato
    Pruden's Purple
    Suttons White
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Yellow Brandywine - no germ.
    Aunt Ruby German Green - no germ.
    Sungold - 3rd generation
    Red cherry/grape mix from sweet early volunteers
    Costulouto Genovese
    Aunt Ginny (package doesn't say purple)
    Yellow Ruffled
    Yellow Speckled
    Gold Medal
    Polish Egg
    Dove Cherry
    Black Plum
    Kellog's Breakfast
    Chello
    Lillian's Yellow
    Black Cherry
    Japanese Trifle Black
    Marianna's Peace
    Sungold hybrid
    Sunsugar
    Golden Queen

• Kathy_Z6_NJ
    19 years ago

Hi Vicki,
    I used 15 gal storage containers for the tomatoes, and honestly, it still isn't big enough. There's a marked difference between plants in the ground and in the containers. Last year I had some of the same type tomato in the ground and in the container. The in-ground ones were 6-7 feet high, while the containers were 4-5 feet, including the height of the container. I still got tomatoes tho, so it does work.
    I hear ya about the lawn (YAWN!) my husband put in sod last year, so there's little likelihood of digging that up! I have two small gardens, 12 x 12 & 15 x 12. In addition to the tomatoes, I also put in cukes, eggplants, peppers & 1 (yes, only one!) zucchini! I have some pots of herbs , scattered around the yard and a flower bed which I've been insiduously planting with herbs. I have seeds for watermelon and cantalope, which I'll try to plant on the outside of the garden fence and I force it to grow along the fence only. Hopefully, using only 12 tomatoes in each area will keep the tomato jungle under control, unlike other years when you could barely get in there to pick anything!

• evan1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Looks like Kellog's breakfast is popular with everyone. My first time this year. I see JerseyJohn posting, I bet his list is larger than all of ours.

• jerseyjohn
    19 years ago

Hi folks ! Evan, I see you,Loretta, Kathy and others have the same passion I share..growing lots and lots of distinctively different varieties !

Squeezing in one plant each of many kinds. The seedlings so far look even better than last year.
    Could be 4 reasons for improvement...don't know which ones though ! First, been able to keep the seedlings about 8-10 degrees cooler, keeping them stouter, a bitless leggy. Second, I've been BLASTING them with air from 3 fans since they were 2 weeks old! Finally, using potting soil from Walmart's of all places, and seedlings seem to like the types of fertilizer in it ! Finally, am feeding them less water...waiting until the pots seem dangerously dry...like every 3rd or 4th day.

Hope all other Jersey tomato-lovers are looking
    good at this point as well ! Will be in the ground before we can blink an eye.

John

• koniferkid_nj
    19 years ago

Been there, done that Evan. About 7 years ago I was growing 250 tomatoes[over 100 varieties] till I started collecting conifers,maples, and bamboo. Each year the number of varieties went down till present only 20 varieties.Lack of space was the major reason. I used 2inch plastic pvc pipes as trellises 8 feet high[2 feet buried in ground] and tent stakes every 3 feet to secure them . Used netting to tie the tomatoes to. Each bed was 25 feet long[6 beds total].Now my bamboo groves cover this area and I am left with 150 sq feet for the tomatoes. Don't worry your not crazy...just enthusiastic-glad to see . Right now I have micro-tom tomatoes already turning color to pink.It's amazing what Home Depot shoplites can accomplish.Keep on Growin"

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Pat, you should try growing some in containers. Celebrity is reported to be particularly bland. With containers you can grow any variety you like and avoid the wilt which is probably soil borne. Many of the folk on the tomato forum grow in pots, bags, boxes and winebarrels with great success.
    cheers
    Mantis

• MLcom
    18 years ago

How did every one fair from last nights freeze/frost? Put all of mine in a unheated garage/(hay trailer) for the night. And hope did not miss any. Have some in the ground already and they got covered with some blankets.

Have about 2 dozen variets going if they dont freeze. All of mine were winter sowed. Stange the biggest one is Black Cherry.

So for those that are gowing lots of different ones, how many of each plant do you grow?

Biggest problem see is finding cages for all of them.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Now my Sutton's White pot came up with half regular leaf and half potato leaf. So I double planted the pot but I have no idea with what.
    Actually, I thought of renting a plot at a community garden to take care of my overflow but the one in Morristown is full and the only other one I know of is in Montville and they don't rent to out of towners. That is a shame because they do not seem to be even half full. Anyway, I don't know how realistic it would be for me to manage my garden here and there too.
    The other choice is to cut down some old shrubs as I, like Koniferkid have given all the other garden realestate away and really have no choice now? I use to intersperse the tomatoes but they take over everything.

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here's what I actually got in the ground. Lost some varieties to a bout of damping off and had a few germination failures.

Glory of Moldova
    Cherry Brandywine
    Cuostralee
    Milkas Red Bulgarian
    Ramapo F2
    Russian #117 PL
    Green Sausage
    Roman Candle
    Kosovo
    Silvery Fur Tree
    Persey
    Red Ruffled
    Yasha Yugoslovian
    Earls Faux
    Green Zebra
    Black Krim
    Yellow OxHeart
    Oxheart
    Carrot
    Jersey Devil
    Grandfather Ashlock
    Moldovan Green
    Black Maur
    Dr Wyche's Yellow
    Teton De Venus
    Gipsy
    Opalka
    Soldacki
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Chocolate
    Azoychka
    Nicky Crain
    Health Kick
    Pridnestrovie New
    HughÂs
    Lutescent
    Slavic Masterpiece
    Genoa Ribbed
    Heidi
    Orange Russian 117
    Novogosahry
    Mr Stripey
    Sandul Moldovan
    Black Cherry
    Paul Robeson
    Speckled Roman Paste
    Prudens Purple
    German Johnson
    Green Pineapple
    Purple Calabash
    Lyana
    Hungarian Oxheart
    Aunt RubyÂs German Green
    Chernomor
    Black from Tula
    Giant Belgium
    Stupice
    Evergreen
    Purple Russian
    Black Pear
    Kellogs Breakfast
    Lucky Cross
    Wolford Wonder
    Garveys Spanish Plum
    Hillbilly
    Noir de cosebouf

Stupice was the first to set fruit. All except Opalka and Garvey's Spanish plum look good. Jersey Devil was sickly but is picking up steam this past week.

• johnwiberg
    18 years ago

If the Ramapo F2 is my old beloved Ramapo & if you can give me a seed source I will give you a BIg KISS! My best luck tomatos are Glory hybrid,(Tomato growers) jet star(Harris Seeds) Brandy Boy!!! (Burpee,) Yellow Pear (Tomato Growers)
    (lease let me Know about Ramapo-I may lose sleep over this!
    John

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got the seeds from Dr Carolyn Male, who shared some with a group last fall. Looking to de hybridize the variety. I'll let you now how they turn out and if I'll have seeds for an F3 next year to share.

If you go to the Rutgers tomato testing they have had Ramapo there and it is easy to collect seeds, just bring a small baggie and a sharpie to write with.

Agway in Raritan, NJ had Ramapo plants this year but I don't know the origin as to wether they are the original or not.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Jphnwiberg,
    Do you like yellow pear? I found them to be pasty and tasteless although pretty. I also found they had a tendancy to drop off the vine with any disturbance and the vines to be HUGE!. My source was Burpee.

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shaping up to be a great year for Tomatoes so far. Almost all my plants have fruit set, although none blushing yet. I'm looking forward to the first ripe- Stupice vs Silvery Fir Tree vs Carrot is my guess, one of those three will come in first.

Kosovo is the season's early surprise, very leafy and healthy looking for a heart shaped variety, lots of fruit set. Jersey Devil is also looking great, I have struggled to grow one the past two years.

• hemnancy
    18 years ago

I found this thread searching for Yellow Ruffled. Do you have a report on them yet? In the PNW we have cold nights so I only have fruit set on my early winner for last year, Juliet. And on some dwarves in pots- Lucky Leprechaun, Totem, and Tiny Tim. I'm with you on the large variety trials. Last year I trialed 60 tomato varieties, 100 plants, and this year I'm totally overboard with 110 varieties and 170 plants. I can't eat cooked tomatoes, only raw, but we ate big plates of tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It wasn't monotonous at all because of the wide variety of tomatoes and the vast differences in taste. They all take a different time to ripen, too, so it's not like they are all producing at once. Then there were a couple that dropped dead of some disease, and some that didn't produce well, some that cracked so bad I basically didn't pick them at all, some that tasted so bad I didn't eat them, etc. so we kept up all right, plus took some to potlucks, gave them to friends and family, etc. This year I might actually can some for my DH.

PS my father was born and raised in NJ, lived in Linwood.

• MLcom
    18 years ago

I have about 30 different ones in the ground and up to 100 plants. So far lot of flowers and green tomatoes. Rutgers is starting to blush with some pink. It also was planted very early around a chilly week of 4/20. The rest were planted around 5/8 and each week for next two months, that should keep them comming in and at different times.
    I did make alot of cages for them out of old fencing and bought a good # of cages at Lowes.

The Potato bugs seem to love them more then potato plants. Been hand picking them off twice a day for weeks now.

Have mulched mine with hay and watered quite a bit. All of mine got compost to grow in.

The Anna Russians sure did take a bit of time to get settled in. Dont think have any set fruit on them yet.

Rutgers should be first to turn ripe then the grape tomatoes like Jelly bean.

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yellow Ruffled was one of the varieties that I never got in the ground due to damping off. I did plant Red Ruffled, looks good so far, relatively compact and healthy looking, fruit set up on a plant that went in the ground May 15. I grew Zapotec Ribbed and Coistoluto Genovese before, I would say Red Ruffled so far resembels a smaller Genovese, similar looking fruit but smaller.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Have
    big rainbow (extra)
    sandul moldavian
    green zebra
    black prince
    stupice (for earlneass)
    annans noir
    striped roman.
    Green zebra and roman seedlings/young plants wound up deceased for various reasons so I started new later. They may or may not fruit since they're started late. But what the heck. They're tomatos. EAsy to grow from seed. :)

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Bumped this back up . HORNWORMS have arrived. Ok one or two can deal with but day 3 over a dozen of them.

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A dozen! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!! Kill those ba*****s.

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have harvested 7 Stupice so far and 1 Hungarian Heart. Carrot has some fruit blushing.
    Picture of Stupice
    {{gwi:1061487}}

• MLcom
    18 years ago

Harvest has begun with Sungold, Rutgers, Jelly bean, and Stupice. Black Cherry will be next just starting to turn. Anyone else having luck?

Hornworms seemedto have maxed out with last days of 6 or more found per day. Greedy big green bugs.

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

I got Three ripe grape tomatoes so far,and Hungarian oxheart,is turning pink the first tomatoe wich is at least one pound heavy.All six plants i have are loaded heavy with huge Tomatoes.Even grape tomatoes are triple size as compared to the store kind.Sandul Moldovan,has a lot of huge one pound Tomatoes,turning white.Regards

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1061488}}
    Friday night snack
    Clockwise from top:
    Glory of Moldova
    Black Mavr
    Carrot
    Stupice
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Moldovan Green in center

• evan1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All my plants are pulled now. The heat basically stopped production mid-end of July. Overall I'm very happy with the season, had early Tomatoes this year, very good taste. One problem was more deer damage than ever before.

winners- Yasha Yugoslovian, Wolford Wonder, Kellogs Breakfast, Moldovan green,Purple Russian,cherry Brandywine.

Losers- Teton de venus, Nicky Crain, Dr Wyche's,Green Sausage.

• herman2_gw
    18 years ago

Hi evan1 ,I just want to thank you again for Sandul Moldovan Seeds .That is a very good and very productive tomato.I had a lot of one pound tomato this year .What is interesting i still do .My plants are loaded to the gills with huge one pound tomatoes,in different stages of maturation.Plant are still Green healthy ,still producing flower and new fruits as we speak.Believe it or not !!!!!!.If you do not believe i invite you to see them in Willingboro.Regards

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Wow even1, done already?
    I am just getting something back from my plants. Granted they are planted in less than ideal conditions. And I have some disease issues going on here. Unfortunately, I thought I was giving the best spot to the ones I was most interested in and they all died. I did get some stunted fruit but nothing I could judge by. That was
    Kellogg's Breakfast,
    Marianna's Peace,
    Aunt Ruby's Green (I did get one normal fruit from that one and it was pretty good but not spectacular)and
    golden queen - that was suppose to be early
    Lillian's heirloom yellow - got some small fruit from this and it wasn't anything special. Don't know if it was representative though.

However, I got some
    Cherokee Chocolate very good
    Sutton White which I think was better than Aunt Ruby's Green
    Yellow speckled roma keeps getting rotten spots but I think I will get something yet
    Japanese trifle Black - just picked the first fruit, didn't eat it yet
    Dove cherry - nice delicate red grape type cherry
    Sun Sugar and Sungold - seems the same to me
    Black plum - nothing special, paste type

chello - early yellow cherry, nice looking, not sweet but juicy, the people who tend toward the tart like this one better than Sungold.

Unknown - grew among the pepper seedlings, nice big pink fruits, didn't eat it yet but it looks good - wish I knew. I'll save some seed anyway.

Another unknown red medium boat shape - grew among the sutton's white. I double planted the pot and now I don't know what it is.

The star so far is....Black Cherry. Wow, my favorite cherry. Doesn't have that thick skin most of the others have and great flavor. The local farmer sells a grape tomato that looks and tastes like black plum. My fruit is a cherry type and tastier. Unfortunately I planted it in the shade so I have a lot of green fruit and nothing ripe. Had a few early fruits from extras left in the pots and the one in the shade.

Otherwise, a lot of green fruit...

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Went back out to check.
    I think the big pink tomato is Aunt Ginny's purple and it makes great mayo sandwiches too. It is has an even sweet taste and slight crunch.
    Whatever the unknown red was, it was too acidic for me to eat raw. It burned my mouth but the taste was pretty complex, not sweet. My eight year old said it "tingled his tastebuds" Ha ha! This might be a good sauce tomato. Most of the paste tomatoes I've grown so far have been tasteless so I might save the seed with this in mind. Too bad its unknown. Too bad I don't have any other ripe fruit to even consider trying a sauce.

• njmastergardener
    18 years ago

WOW, I'm impressed!! and here I though I was tomato nuts!! I gorw all tomato's that have a lineage to NJ. Mine and Hubs family grew tomato;s for campbell soup. The tomato soup is hubs great grandmothers recipe. We have the award and newspaper article as proof!
    I'd be glad to swap seeds in spring!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I pulled most of my plants out a couple of weeks ago and the last fruits ripened on the windowsill. Had my last tomato mayo sandwich I think. I know I still have some cherries out there but haven't checked on their condition. Probably cracked mush.

Next year I might just grow Japanese Trifle Black and a variety of cherries. It was my best tomato this year.
    Black Cherry was the favorite cherry.
    Lemon Boy was very very pretty but a little bland
    Gold Medal had a very nice taste but burned my mouth a little. I'm sensitive to tomato acid.

• brouette
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I'd like to exchange seeds with you. I have more than 400 tomatoes. Could you send me your mail address, I'll send you my list. My mail address : emmanuel.stoffel@skynet.be
    Thank you very much.
    Manu