Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydiakitty

favorite gardens?

lydiakitty
15 years ago

What are everyone's favorite gardens to visit in the NJ NY PA area?

One of my favorites is Innisfree Garden in the Hudson Valley. Here's a link: http://www.innisfreegarden.org/

Comments (7)

• bogturtle
    15 years ago

Being in S.Jersey, I like Winterthur and Longwood Gardens. The Duke Gardens are supposed to be nice, but I know almost nothing about them. I did once visit the small iris garden in Montclair at its best. Rarefind Nursery, in Jackson, maintains a demonstration woodland of many Rhododendrons that is quite spectacular in season.

• gerania
    15 years ago

I live in southern New Jersey as well and my two regional favorites are Chanticleer and Longwood. Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve is worth a visit especially in April and May when the spring ephemerals including bluebells are in bloom.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Add the Morris Arboretum in Philly and Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown, NJ.

• Datdog
    15 years ago

Chanticleer is one of my favorites.

• ourbackyard
    15 years ago

Simple and beautiful, Leamings Run is our favorite.
    http://www.leamingsrungardens.com
    Not an all-day affair, cool under the trees in the summer and all done with annuals.

• wake-robin
    15 years ago

The Indoor Display Gardens created by Doris Duke at Duke Farms in central New Jersey have been a favorite destination for many of us for years. Miss Duke created the Duke Gardens Foundation Inc. and opened the gardens to the public in 1964. Since her death they have been administered by the Trustees of the Foundation. On May 25, 2008, at the discretion of the trustees, these gardens will be closed and their plant collections disbanded. An ongoing slide show of what will be lost can be found at the website shown below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Save Duke Gardens

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

One of my favorite gardens in this area is, like so many of
    you, Chanticleer. . .particularly because all manner of
    dramatic changes are actually encouraged from year to year.
    But the whole greater Philadelphia area has been dubbed "the epicenter of horticulture in the United States".....and I highly recommend checking out a book titled "A Guide to the Great Gardens of the Philadelphia
    Region", where-in you'll find extensive details about more
    than fifty fabulous gardens in that area. So far, I've only been able to cover about half of them, but the depth
    of the collection just leaves you breathless. . .and feeling mighty lucky to be living right next door.

Two little-known, but quite wonderful gardens that I enjoy
    in central Jersey are Sayen Gardens (Hamilton) and Leonard J. Buck Garden (Far Hills).

Then there's New York - and I don't mean the State, but the
    City. Only because I lived in Manhattan for many years (as
    a gardener) did I discover the incredible wealth of gardens
    there. The obvious choices are the New York Botanic Garden, the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and, maybe my favorite, Wave Hill, up in Riverdale (The Bronx) high over
    the Hudson River. . .but then there are all the unknown
    gems: Rockfeller Gardens, just south of The Cloisters; the
    relatively new, but stunning in it's location, the gardens
    all along the Hudson Promenade in Battery Park City; or have you ever seen the spectacularly restored Conservatory
    Gardens in Central Park (Fifth Avenue & 105th Street)?

Move on up the Hudson Valley and it's just one stunning
    garden after another. . .but I think I can settle on my favorite as Stonecrop Gardens (Cold Spring), the home of
    the Garden Conservancy.

Is it possible to have one favorite garden ???

Carl