Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
royy_gw

need advice for climber on arbor

royy
17 years ago

I am going to build an arbor and I want to have a climber on each side eventully cover the structure. I was thinking of using a climbing rose or a clematis. I really don't know squat about either of these plants, but I like the look of them. I guess I need a suggestion for which type would be good.

Since I don't have a ton of time they would need to be easy maintenance. The structure is in full sun and will be watered with a soaker hose. I know roses don't like too much water on the foliage. Flower color is not of major concern either.

Comments (5)

• bogturtle
    17 years ago

To compound your dilemna,I would suggest you look on the web at a place called Gardenvines.com or Brushwood Nursery. They will give you a vast choice and you will have to chose, after reading seperately about each one. I am a customer of theirs but in no way commercially involved with them. I have roses, since my wife loves them, but no climbers. I grow the following vines: Honeysuckles of 6 kinds. 3 that smell good but do not bloom all summer and 3 odorless but blooming on and off April to November.
    4 Jasmine relatives that have no odor and bloom briefly
    Akebia quinata,which can be too vigorous.
    At least 5 kinds of Clematis. Only Polish Spirit seems to bloom for a long time for me.
    Crossvine, with little success.
    Trumpetvine, too big and rampant for your purpose.
    Gloryvine, too big also.
    If I were to grow a climbing rose, I would like climbing Joseph's Coat, but there are many and the newer ones might be more disease resistant. If you fail with a plant, ask a successful neighbor about his or hers. They might be like me and have too much to say and be anxious to share info.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

What size is the arbor? Are you going to prune at all? Are you willing to tie and train?

• tinylady
    17 years ago

I need info also for a arbor in partial shade.

• royy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would be willing to prune and train, but I just don't want a rose that I have to spray every week and baby it. I just don't have the time.

Bogturtle, thanks for the info. I am going to check that out.

My wife thinks I should just plant Mandavillas as an annual every year. They are very nice and grow pretty fast, so I may do that. Plus they bloom all summer, which is a big factor in my decision. I just don't like dropping around $15-$20 for a plant that will be an annual every year.

Roy

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

Hi Roy

Mandavillas can be overwintered inside. I cut mine back to 12"-18", put in a barely heated breezeway, and watered once a month, and it did fine. I don't do indoor plants much, so one year I let it go. I kept it in a pot for ease in moving.

They are beautiful though.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner