Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancem_gw

Vermiculite/Perlite?

nancem
18 years ago

It's been awhile for me...one or both of these are used to improve drainage correct? What's the difference between them? One cheaper than the other?

I'll be planing verbena (the annual kind which did great for about 7 years and eventually died out). Any other suggestions on how to prep the soil for verbena and any thoughts on a nice annual to intersperse with them? I presume I can't start these from seed now...or if I could, I wouldn't get blooms this years...correct? Anyone know of any good nursery with quality verbena at a reasonable price? I'm in the south end of Tinton Falls.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)

• mprats
    18 years ago

What a coincidence: I was watching Martha Stewart's new gardening DVD on Saturday, and a guest in her show (the owner of Heronswood nursery in the Pacific NW) mentioned that vermiculite gets compacted and heavy over time, so it is not recommended in a seed mix for seeds that take a long time to sprout. He recommended perlite instead.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Usually the recipe for seed starting mixes includes both but since the scare with asbestos in vermiculite, I see it omitted. Here is a link that explains the difference between the two on the NY American Rhod. Society.

Verbena is commonly sold by the flat at many nurseries. You won't have a problem finding them. I've never prepared the soil special for them. Just the same as any other annual.

Isn't Barlow's in Sea Girt near you? I've never been there but my SIL who lives near there is always talking about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlite vs. Vermiculite

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor