Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchwoman

Cold weather

mulchwoman
15 years ago

42 again in Metuchen this morning. My snow peas don't mind it too much but my poor little tomato plants (which I had to put out when they came) are not happy. They are alive and growing (tough little buggers) but we would really like to see some warmer weather.

Pat

Comments (5)

• birdgardner
    15 years ago

My plants all seem to be tough little buggers but I don't like the cold. Brrr.

• kim47
    15 years ago

Pat,
    I've had my tomato plants in since April 5th and they are doing great, knock on wood. I live near Asbury and we've had a couple cool nights. Planted that early for the last couple of years without problems, you should be fine.
    Kim

• alisonn
    15 years ago

Enough already with the cold and rain! I took this week off to spend in the yard and.......well, you know the rest.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Anyone else waiting for gooey, gloppy mess of soaked clay soil to drain (this century) so they can plant out?

If it isn't like a rock it's so soaked I can't work in it for fear of compacting it even more.

I've hauled enough compost of all kinds, shred enough moldy leaves dug out of the woods and turned enough rock hard clay to last a very long time and I know full well it's never "done". Thank goodness I don't have to grow in this clay for a living although people who do have proper machinery, advantage of putting in cover crops and such to get it into much better shape.

I got 40 Gladiolus bulbs for $10 from Gasko's and planted them yesterday...yes I know it's late but finally had a couple hours to myself. I was hacking away at clay and cutting dreaded vines below ground for hours to clear space for bulb cages so all the critters don't mess with them them either above or below ground before they get to grow & bloom. When I walked down the driveway for the paper this morning I noticed one batch is too far out toward the driveway where I put them in front of indentations among shrubs and evergreens. I refuse to dig that hole again so I'll just have to live with the misplacement in relation to the other repetitive clumps I planted in 2 other nooks on same side of driveway.

Who am I kidding? Gladiolus packs say up to 50" so I need more room in front of them to plant complimentary things and the lack of symmetry is going to drive my OCD nature crazy...LOL. Doubt glads will reach their full height this year but need space in front of them anyway.

Sorry I ramble...started with weather, rolled into wet clay soil and strayed further into stupid gladiolus placement. Nobody else where I'm planting cares or wants to hear about my outdoor venture" and I end up going "stream of consciousness" on the forums too often.

• classytchr64
    15 years ago

Dear newbie,
    I think the forums are meant for stream of consciousness rambling, and I enjoyed reading yours. Good luck with those glads! I think moving plants is a hallmark of a good gardner - because we care enough (or are ocd enough) to do what's most beautiful for our garden. Looks like it's going to be warming up . . . hooray! Leslie

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler