Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

My nursery tour in Somerset County

Wow, someone must have read my mind [Carl's msg re Nursery Guide] cuz I've been thinking there is a real need for a guide.

Saturday I spent a couple of hours on line, and after finding a nursery, I had to look separately to find the directions. Out of about 14 nurseries in one area that I was investigating only 2 were online.

We started out at Atlock Farms [545 Weston Canal Rd, Somerset, 732-356-3373]. Then it was Spook Brook Herbary [2135 Rt 514, East Millstone, 732-873-2460]

Our third stop, Ambleside Gardens [834 Hwy 206, Belle Mead, 908-359-8388] was so wonderful I'm having trouble recalling the first two.

It was like visitng a friend who really loved plants. There is something about the way it is laid out, curving paths, nooks and benches, overhanging branches, that just induced a sense of peace in me. Felt more like a sanctuary than a business. Their selection was great, many plants which I had read about and had never seen in a nursery. What I like best is that *everything* was labeled, including care directions. Also at many places, the prices were posted, so you didn't have to remember, as you walked, a 3-" is 3.99 and a 4" is 5.49 etc.

Staff was friendly and available.

Highly recommended.

Atlocks has a great selection. Many things which I had not seen before at a nursery. And he is going to call me when he gets a Salvia Marachino which I've been looking for. But many things are not labeled, so you have to walk around and find Ken and then bring him back to ask him what is this. And the prices are not so easily determined.

Spook Brook Herbary I can't remember much. They had a large quantity of herbs, as you would expect, but nothing really sticks out in my mind about the place.

2 more places real close to where we were- Ash's Flower Farms [135 Route 206 NOrth, Hillsborough, 908-218-7844] and Parkside Gardens [51 US Hwy 206, HIllsborough,908-725-4595].

We didn't get to them. Many other nurseries in the area, plus it is a beautiful place to drive around. Also, as somebody has mentioned, there is Colonial Farms up there too.

ellen

Comments (12)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Thanks ellen. I always thought it would be fun to do reviews of nurseries. Last outing, I took pictures, thinking I would get to post about them but I never got to it yet. Maybe this week.
    Ambleside Gardens sounds like a destination. I am really running out of room though.
    BTW, I was told at Atlocks that their labeling machine was broken and everything would be labeled by next week. That was two weekends ago so I guess that didn't happen.

• jimcnj
    18 years ago

Thanks Ellen for the post about Ambleside Gardens. I went there and was very impressed. They had the plants I was looking for and then some. Very good shade plant offerings.
    They shrubs were the nicest I've seen.Everything was very well cared for. Very impressed indeed. P.S. they are having a 30% off perennial sale, I felt like I was stealing!
    Jim

• tiarella
    18 years ago

Ellen, you repeated a trip that a friend and I take at least once a year. Our experience was much the same as yours. I could not pick a fav between Ambleside and Atlock. Another great place to visit is Morganville Flower Farm on Rte 79. Interesting plants here too. And my friend grew up in the Clark area so she knows a few more places. One place comes to mind Miele's.

• pam21
    18 years ago

Ambleside is one of my favorites. Very helpful people who really love plants. They have great stock with some unusual items.

• Jaxxx
    18 years ago

Thanks Ellenr for the tip. I pass Ambleside all of the time but never stop in because I assume its too expensive. I often go to Barton's nursery on New Durham Rd. in Edison but I think they are way too expensive! I just go out of habit and because they usually have a good selection. Thanks for the advice! :) Jaxxx

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Nice going, Ellen: you just unearthed another new nursery
    for me - Ambleside - and as some of you may have noticed,
    I practically collect nurseries! I'll have to head up that
    way this week sometime. . .

Tiarella mentioned Morganville Flower Farm, here in my neck of the woods; I actually shop there a good bit because
    he's local and reasonably priced, but I personally wouldn't
    consider it a 'destination' nursery. An unusually sophisticated selection of annuals, plus a fairly solid collection of perrenials - but please note: they close
    down mid-summer (July 17th, this year) and will not re-open until early April next season.

Speaking of nurseries, I haven't had a chance to post since my last outing, to Twombley Nursery in Connecticut.
    (www,twombleynursery.com)
    Packed a picnic lunch, and along with a good gardening pal,
    we headed off for a tour of five nurseies in Conn., of which Twombley was the only new one for me - WHOA! Now, here's a destination, folks! Everything about it is appealing - the plants, the extensive house and grounds in
    the woods - I can't wait to go back in the Spring!

O.K. - destination Ambleside. . .

Carl

• penserosa
    18 years ago

I'm new here and so glad I saw your post. I actually live down the road from Spooky Brook and haven't found much there either. I usually go to Livingston Park Nursery in New Brunswick, but being a new gardener I'd hate to try and rate it. I like it there myself, but now I can't wait to try Ambleside.

Pat

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I did take a day off last weekend for a ride in the country with a gardening friend and showed her a few spots. I went to Peter's Valley (artisans), Well Sweep, Atlock and Ambleside. It is the first time I went to Ambleside and unfortunately, we only had about a 1/2 hour to look around.
    They have beautiful healthy plants at good prices. Plus they were on sale. It is more typical of a nursery though unless I missed a lot in the back where we couldn't get to. Were there gardens there? I didn't see any. I would be interested to see their selection in the spring.
    Peter's Valley isn't what it use to be. Still pretty to drive through.
    Well Sweep had tours going on and unfortunately we missed a luncheon they had that day. We should have skipped Peter's Valley and done that. Oh well. We did take the tour of the herbal garden and it was very interesting - especially if you like herbs. They have some tropicals too which I think are unusual. They plant them out in the gardens and dig them up in the fall. So much work.
    Atlock was beautiful as always. (They still have some Mukdenia Crimson Fans left).

Twombly is a place I wanted to see along with White Flower Farm, Variegated Foliage and Broken Arrow in Conn. Didn't do it this year though. Twombly does the shops at the NY Botanical Garden. They always have the most beautiful things on display but they are always expensive. Were they expensive?

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Loretta:

No, I didn't find Twombley particularly expensive, although
    I'm sure some of the rarer plants might seem pricey.
    Personally, I always look for quality and breadth of selection first - Twombley scored on both counts. I figure
    if you really want that particular plant badly enough, and
    there it is in front of you (as opposed to online, where
    I'd NEVER buy a high-priced plant), then it's the gardener's moment of truth. . .

Carl

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

So true... so it's dangerous your saying. Well you got to make the trip worthwhile.

• pguest
    18 years ago

Hi All, I found a brand new nursery on 100 Duke's Parkway East in Hillsborough - Maple Hollow Nursery. You would never know its there, because they don't have a sign on the road - just the word 'nursery' on a rather impressive York Fence sign. Although they don't have much on perennials this year(they plan to expand next year), their nursery stock is impressive - good quality and size for the dollar! I had to remove an older tree from my yard and replaced it with a beautiful Autumn Blaze maple with a 2.5" caliper - instant landscape! I don't know if it will continue, but the owner and his staff are great to work with and are very accommodating. Anyway, well worth checking out this one!

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

So many nurseries, so little space.