Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatayama_gw

Where are the antique roses in Jersey

skatayama
18 years ago

Hi,

The garden is coming along even if it has been rather cool... but missing in action are the roses. I prefer the antique roses to hybrid teas. Does anyone know of a NJ source for them?

Sheila

Comments (10)

• karen64
    18 years ago

Really, because they might do better with our funky weather. I got roses from ARE and trades, plus some from local shops. My cl. cecile brunner probably is not ideal for NJ, I've yet to get a rose from it, fingers crossed. Do you grow alot of roses?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

There are several nurseries around that sell a few OGRs, but your best bets are to order them. Ashdown and Roses Unlimited are two very good sources, Pickering has many grafted on Multiflora rootstock. Many mail/web order places are low on stock now because it's late in the (ordering) season.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

There are always some that appear here and there, even Home Depot. I use to get some from Kaufell Gardens but due to health reasons, they don't do much anymore. Too bad because it was some collection. The rest, like Diane, were from mail sources. I've also ordered from Seymours and Heirloom Roses. They were small. Some are still small but many are doing well.

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I always try to find a few local sources. As of yet, not many roses in my garden here. I had quite a few when I lived down South. I had only a few at the loft in NYC but a change in landlords killed quite a few gardens there.

So, I'm starting over from scratch basically. The previous homeowner did some "curb appeal" planting but there were basically no gardens and only a few old survivors (mostly bulbs) here and there and a weedy lawn. I've managed to get rid of the less appropriate plantings. Still getting rid of the ivy. I did get a Mutabilis from HD this spring. I have several Blush Noisettes that survived rather well the last two winters up here so far. But not much else yet...

Sheila, always hopeful

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Someone may pull a name out that I haven't heard of before but I have found that to really get what you want, you have to go mailorder unless you want to go for a road trip.
    I used to go to the public gardens, find what I liked and hunt them down. There are so many references online for rose lovers.

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I really do have a soft spot for roses. You never know when somebody out there may know a quirky nursery off the beaten path though. Remember that thread last year about nurseries with soul? I never made the trip to NJBG and now it's gone. Darn it.

Where else might I be missing out on?

Sheila

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Well Kaufell Gardens was a rose lovers find in its rose days also. I think I am the only one who ever posted about them. I found them through helpmefind roses. As I said, I would go to the gardens and pick out what roses I wanted and I wanted Pink Perpetue. When I looked at the option of who carried it, Kaufell gardens name came up. So I ran there on opening day in mid April and what a selection she had. Roses in every catagory - albas, gallicas, damask, noisettes, bourbons, species, and Austins (this is before they went retail), polyantha, rugosas,ramblers and climbers - even obscure modern roses which I think she still has. Then they had a bit of display garden as well. They had huge ramblers on arbors and on an old caboose. Climbers all along the driveway and roses everywhere. They still have some on display and they should be opening now but it's cut back and the ramblers were removed for repairs. Last week I went she had several interesting rugosas, rosa glauca, climbers and Louise Odier but no where near what she had. Harrison's Yellow had its first blooms. Still a nice visit.

• dighappy
    18 years ago

Loretta.....where is Kaufell gardens, I can't find it in the HMF listings. Thanks.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Here is a link to their old list on HMF. I stress 'OLD'! They don't do the antiques anymore just in case someone missed that point above. You still may find something that interests you. The list below is what she carried when I first started going. It was good to get there as close to opening day as possible if you wanted something special because they didn't have many of one variety usually. Here is a link to their AOL page. They were open til June and then by appointment I think. I don't know how they do it now.

I have no more room for roses so I didn't look very closely at what is there now but I listed a few I saw above. Expect now mostly herbs, still some roses, daylilies, groundcover type perennials like veronicas, some hostas, hydrangea, a few perennials and more.

BTW, Harrison Yellow was in the display garden, I didn't see it for sale, just in case I wasn't clear on that. You could ask though.

Here is a link that might be useful: What they use to carry...

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have any of you rose-lovers grown any of Ralph Moore's Halo series roses? I'm about to put in an order of those. The word is he will retire in 2007 and the nursery will close. So I better get right on it.

Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: One of the ones I want

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus