Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black needles on arborvitae

Posted by sugar_magnolia z6 Hamilton, NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 9:51

We planted 4 emerald green arborvitae last weekend or the weekend before. I notice one has black needles -- not soot, not ashen, but needles that look perfectly healthy but are black. The trees are planted close together under the shade of a maple along the chain link fnce. Any ideas on what this is? I cannot find anything on my internet search that identifies it. Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black needles on arborvitae

Does it look anything like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sooty mold

o

Hi Loretta -- No. It doesn't look like soot. The tree looks completely healthy. It just that the needles on a few branches are black not green. Thansk!

o

Other dead needles on your shrubs are brown, not black? Black says mold or disease to me. Either cut them off and throw them out and see if the discoloration continues or exchange the plant.

o

You know what? Bring the plant back. Though everything might be fine once you remove the bad branches this year, there is a very good chance it will decline further next year. That has been my experience more often than not.
If you can post a pic on the pests and diseases forum, you would probably get a better answer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here