Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple wildflowers on 287?

Posted by ladychroe z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 10:32

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if someone could help me ID those pretty purple wildflowers that are blooming along the highways this time of year. I see clumps of them everywhere. There is a large patch on 22 East in Somerville, and another on 287 North approaching Basking Ridge. Can I buy these? Would I want to?

They are loose spikes of purple hyacinth-like flowers, sometimes with lavender or white clumps mixed in. They kind of resemble a butterfly bush, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple wildflowers on 287?

Could be money plant? The ones in my yard have just shut down and set seed, but I still see some blooming around the area. You often see them in waste areas or growing under large shrubs where mowers can't reach.

o

Although I've not seen them (I try to keep to the back roads), I'm going to bet it's dame's rocket - which is considered to be invasive although I love it.

I had some for a while then it disappeared. I noticed a patch today at work and thought maybe I'd take a clump to try to get it started again.

o

NJ Tea - you might be right, I hadn't thought of that.

o

Dame's rocket it is. I read that it is an ornamental gone wild and is very invasive in New Jersey. But it sure is pretty, isn't it?

Thank you!

o

I'm in Metuchen and commute to Hunterdon County, and have noticed them, too!

My favorite is along Rt. 78, between 287 and Lebanon. They have beautiful purple and white wildflowers, that kind of look like poppies, growing all along the median. They haven't started blooming yet, but it's nice to see them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here