Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Common milkweed...trouble?

Posted by mucknmire zone6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 15, 06 at 11:33

Hi,
I liked the stately look of the common milkweed, Asclepias syriaca which was growing in an empty lot behind our house and I also wanted to attract butterflies so I dug some up last year and planted it in several places in our yard. They all survived the transplant and are thriving... maybe too much...new shoots were coming up a foot or so beyond the main group of plants. Did I do a bad thing? Will I have trouble controlling this plant? Thanks for any comment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Common milkweed...trouble?

Did you remove the seed pods? They could've reseeded from the empty lot behind your house, since the fluff attached to the seed allows the seed to travel ;)

If you plan to harvest the seed, remove the seed pods as soon as they split. If you don't want to harvest seed or allow reseeding, remove the pods before they develop.

I grow A. tuberosa, A. incarnata, A. curassavica; all are controllable, and only reseed if I don't get to the pod quick enough...

o

Hi Tracey,
Actually I was more concerned that it would spread uncontrollably by runners as it seems to be popping up further than where I originally planted it. This is making me anxious that I will have a difficult time containing the milkweed.

We have a volunteer apparently from blown seed.

We also planted A. tuberosa but it only lasted 2 years. Seemed healthy but disappeared and didn't seem nearly as vigorous as the common milkweed.

o

We do get them popping up where we don't want them but it seems more so in my wet area's of the yard. karen

o

Karen, thanks for the information. I planted one in a boggy spot in the yard and the new shoots there seem to be more vigorous than the others. Is it difficult to control?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here