Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar mulch question

Posted by bobbobnj (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 07 at 11:43

Mulch question.

I'm buying mulch in bulk for our beds. If they call it cedar mulch is it the same as cedar bark mulch or different? I would imagine it's the bark that gets used for mulch and the rest for wood products.

Also I'm wondering if the mulch in local garden centers is all about the same stuff. I would imagine their aren't too many suppliers. The reason I'm wondering is that there are big differences in price and I'd like to think the $34 kind is the same as the $40 kind. I do use free town chips for some beds. I'm not completely nuts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar mulch question

A couple of years ago, I bought and compared a few different wood mulches and found they were not the same. Some have large splinters of wood and are shredded from pallets.
The type I prefered was carried by Sears and Fairfield Gardens at the time and the name...Southsomething. I will try to remember.
Anyway, if you care, its worth getting samples. I did because I used it on a path and it had to be soft for little feet.

o

Thanks for the reply.

I checked a few out and had one delivered the same day. It looks good.

o

Last Spring I planted giant liriope at a confined, flat area at the front of my house (apx 8 x 10 ft. area, bordered by walkways). For interest, I planted three small hollies that will not get tall. There is also a non-invasive nandina there that I trim yearly. The liriope did well, especially after I used corn meal once a month for fungus.

I want to add mulch this year to control the weeds in between the liriope, but am not fond of pine needles. Will cedar shavings work? I've researched this a little and see that there is a fire hazard warning and the need to perhaps add nitrogen. My concern is whether cedar shavings are okay to use with giant liriope. Thoughts? I'm new to liriope and to mulch. This area gets full sun about 9 hours a day.

If not cedar, what other mulch besides pine needles works best? I'm in zone 9 in north Florida and have read the FAQ on this site, Using Mulches and the one about cedar. I've found a local garden shop that sells cedar shavings suitable for pet beds--cheap. It looks like cedar and has no colored material in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here