Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Fig and Pomegranate in NJ?

achang89
11 years ago

I know fig trees are planted in some areas of NJ and even the garden stores sell them. But how hardy they are. Do you have to wrap it to winter it, like my neighbor does each year?

As for pomegranate, I'm not sure if it is hardy enough. The most popular one is "Wonderful" pomegranate. But I remember some pomegranate trees are planted in Northern Asia. Not sure if they are the same type of trees.

Just wonder. Thans.

Comments (4)

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Figs that are planted in a nice warm site can get by in NJ zones 6b and 7a unprotected but may die back some in severe winters. Last year I had mine in pots no less outside and they are doing fine now. As for the pomegranate, I grow the ornamental, dwarf one grown for its flowers, and it is very hardy without protection. It will drop its leaves in the fall as it is deciduous. I got it in Chinatown years ago and basically grow it for the pretty flowers, not the fruit. I would give it a try if I had any room left! I bet it would be fine in a hot/dry site where nothing else will live.

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Figs that are planted in a nice warm site can get by in NJ zones 6b and 7a unprotected but may die back some in severe winters. Last year I had mine in pots no less outside and they are doing fine now. As for the pomegranate, I grow the ornamental, dwarf one grown for its flowers, and it is very hardy without protection. It will drop its leaves in the fall as it is deciduous. I got it in Chinatown years ago and basically grow it for the pretty flowers, not the fruit. I would give it a try if I had any room left! I bet it would be fine in a hot/dry site where nothing else will live.

• achang89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All my plants will be out there, far away from the house. I had a large fig collection, like > 20 kinds of back in the days when I was in Texas. Now it seems the local stores only sell he "Big Brown". I think I'd have to search for the more hardy ones for maintenance free, without any protection.

I remember when I visited Great Wall in Beijing, I saw some pomegranate trees. I'm not sure if they are the ornamental type, or fruit type. But the weather there is like ours here in NJ.

Or I should be cleared of all the troubles and grow the safe local plants....

• subtropix
    11 years ago

I have seen the following figs being sold in NJ--

black Mission
    kadota
    Hardy chicago
    Celeste
    Texas ever bearing
    Petite negri

As for the pomegranate, I bet it would survive for you. I am going to start raing some from see this year.

But keep in mind the climate of most of China is VERY different from here on the East Coast. Almost all the rainfall in China falls in the summer monsoon and the subarctic cold in the North is extremely arid (unlike our cold and wet winters). I don't know if this matters for the pomegranate but would suggest you do what it takes to improve drainage (try a raised bed, add sand, etc.). Good luck!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions