Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anita55_gw

Long Beach Island

anita55
17 years ago

Hello folks, yes I'm from New York, but we bought a house at the Jersey Shore that we have loved for so many years. We have a part shade area where we recently removed a small tree that would have quickly outgrown the bed it was in. I would like to plant something in this bed which is about 6 feet in diameter. Next to this bed are a couple of beautiful Rhododendrons, so I'm looking for something that will thrive in the same conditions. We are only down there a couple of times a year for maintenance and our vacation, so it would have to be something that is easy and does well without pampering. Please any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Birdsong, I took a look at the shrubs you suggested. They all grow very big for this little area. I was hoping for something that would stay smaller. Maybe a perennial garden would work better. I have been thinking about Hibiscus, but I don't know much about the difficulty of caring for that. Do you have an opinion about that?

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

Grasses always look nice at the shore. You could get a tall one that doesn't spread much and surround it with perennials. Check in with the grass forum (I'm sure we have one). Look around and note what you like in other yards, and then go to a local nursery to see what they recommend. I'm not sure what would work best in sand and possibly salt.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    17 years ago

How about Hydrangea? They seem to do well on LBI.

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jerseygirl, Yes Hydrangeas are nice, and seem to be everywhere on the island. I put a dwarf hydrangea and a dwarf fountain grass in one of the smaller beds. I was looking for something different. Some of the perennial gardens I've seen are stunning, but most of them really do like alike (all done by the same company, too). I guess they use what works at the seashore. I'm going to find a nursery (off the island maybe Toms River or Manahawkin) and look at what's available. Maybe will find something interesting. Do you know a good nursery near there? thanks!

Anita

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    17 years ago

I'm from northern NJ and am not familiar with the nurseries down there. The only one I know of, is a small place on the Boulevard in Ship Bottom. Not sure if it's still there, but I remember they seemed to carry plants that did well in the area.

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Another northern NJ'er here. I purchased a lovely lobelia, I believe at the 5 & 10, in I believe Surf City. I recall that they had alot of buddleia's, and I remember seeing alot of them down there. We always stay down in Ship Bottom in August...

• carol_se_pa_6
    17 years ago

Hi Anita:

We have a place on LBI where I do some gardening. How about beach plum? Dark red leaves and gets light pink small flowers in the spring. Rugosa roses work well. The Country Market in Ship Bottom and the 5&10 in Surf City have a good supply of plants. Reynolds in Manahawkin in a good source for plants. Drive north on Route 9 towards Barnegat and there are a bunch of nurseries up that way - Living Landscapes and Anything Grows to name a few. You are right about the landscapers on LBI - same old, same old. Hibiscus does well without much work. The same for butterfly bush. Good luck and I will be glad to answer any questions about gardening on LBI. There is a nice garden behind the Museum in Barnegat Light that is maintained by the LBI Gardening Club and that gives a good idea what does well on the Island.

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Carol, thanks for the names of the nurseries. We will be down Memorial weekend, hopefully to relax! I feel like my time down there is not really spent restfully anymore since we bought this house, but I'm really going to try this weekend! We rarely get up to Barnegat Light during the summer but we have gone to really nice band concerts there on occasion. When the kids were little we used to climb the lighthouse, and of course the shops are nice. Maybe it's time to make the drive again, and look at the gardens, and have a visit with Old Barney. Thanks!

Anita

• vickster257
    17 years ago

Hi Anita,

Welcome to LBI. You have been given good sources in a quest to find some plants which are suitable for growing in sandy soil.

While I live in Manahawkin, a few of the perennials which do well here are Helenium, aka Sneezeweed, phlox, peonies, digitalis, daylilies, oriental and asiatic lilies, and many others. Also, Cannas, Iris.

Vicki

• diygardener
    17 years ago

I'm from the north but have spent a lot of time on LBI and one thing that has always struck me is how well crepe myrtles do down there. You see a fair number of them on LBI, while up north they're extremely rare. They're usually associated with the southern US, so I guess down the shore counts as south! They produce very showy blooms (most varieties are pink) from, say, late June through to the fall. p.s. congratulations on your house--I'm way jealous!!!

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey diygardener, Thanks! We have been visiting LBI for 20 years as vacationers, and it's always been my husband's wish to buy a house there. Personally, it was better for me when I was just a guest in other people's houses. Now I have 2 houses to take care of and I don't relax as much as I used to when we are down there.

We wound up going to Kline's in Manahawkin, and got a hibiscus, which is what my sister really wanted (she is our co-owner). A beautiful red one, and some campanula and zinnias. Nothing exotic but I'm hoping they will be ok without too much care. I'm still debating what to do about the darned bamboo. Does you know a reliable company that can put in a barrier for us? It's driving me nuts.

A

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I meant "do you know" not does you know ha ha, and that's after 2 cups of coffee.

• tiarella
    17 years ago

If you see a garden that you admire ask the owner were they gets their plants. It's a huge compliment to them and a nice way to meet your neighbors.

• anita55
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Tiarella, Oh I do! I talk to lots of people as I walk my dogs around the neighborhood. Like I said, though, most of the pretty gardens have signs on them from a local landscaping company, and I didn't want to call them. There is one particularly gorgeous cottage style garden in Beach Haven that was done by the owner and I did see her out one day and we admired her garden together. That was a sizable yard, and ALOT of work, but so pretty! She was understandably proud of her garden. I just have a couple of measly little beds. They'll be ok, never like hers.

Do you go to LBI, too?

• Molly O'Rourke
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

http://bbp.ocean.edu/PDFFiles/BBP_Native%20Plant%20brochure,%20May2012_six-pgs,8'5x11%20forWeb.pdf

I found a little 'cheat sheet' with LBI/ Barnegat bay plants. This maybe helpful.

• carol_se_pa_6
    7 years ago

Thanks a bunch! It is getting to be that time to get out in the garden!!

• tiarella
    7 years ago

Not any more I moved from NJ on 2008 but I have been gardening there and here- SC, for a long time. Contact the NJ Native Plant Society and see if they can give you any tips on plants to grow at the shore.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider