Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina?

Posted by delia5588 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, May 23, 14 at 13:50

Hi all! I am very new to the boards. I posted here a couple months ago regarding a bush that's in my front yard. I just bought the property and wasn't sure what it was and if it was dieing. I was told it's most likely a Nandina and now that it seems to be doing well and growing leaves again I thought I'd repost to check. I cut it back last weekend (about 1/3 of the length). Does anyone know what kind of Nandina it is? Also, notice the smaller bunches of leaves that have sprouted from the ground? Is that normal? Should I pull them up? I certain don't want the bush growing wider, as it was already planted too close to the edge of the flower bed.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina?

Upclose

o

Yes it's Nandina.

o

The little shoots coming up around the base of the nandina are normal. These plants spread by runners as well as by seed, so these are either growing from dropped seeds or coming up from the roots of the older plant. You can remove them ... if you remove the seedlings carefully enough, you may pot them up in a little growing medium and give them away if you have a friend who would like them. Just be warned they do spread a bit more than some people would like (and don't forget bird dispersal of the seeds).

Next time you feel you need/want to reduce the size of the shrub, or just tame it a bit, a renewal pruning, rather than cutting back by 1/3, will give best results. With pruning shears or loppers, cut to the ground up to 1/3 of the oldest (which will most likely also be the tallest) canes. Another method is outlined in the link below.

You will probably appreciate this shrub much more when it is covered with bright red berries through the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Nandina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here