Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunruner

Help... southern transplant to NJ

Sunruner
18 years ago

Hi all. I moved from the south up here and need help on planting stuff.

I have a small area that will get full sun. I have a lot more that just get partial. I have a front area that will get mostly shade. I'm wanting to grow tomatoes, spinach, strawberries, a few herbs like basil and chives. Maybe a few melon types and other things. I'm trying to get a feel on when to plant, what works well in this area, etc.

Any chance you can force Avacados to grow around here? Even indoors during the winter? Also, which of these can I bring inside during the winter and keep them going year round? Most of my stuff will be planted in containers tho I could plant in the ground a bit too.

Please note that I am completely new to this so explain as much as you can please.

Comments (7)

• Sunruner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh yeah... may help to know I'm in Somerset County. Also, how do you STOP the deer? Other than firearms. :)

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Have you tried to work your soil yet?? Somerset is almost all red clay. I hope that your property is on old farm land.

Deer are the biggest problem facing gardners in NJ.

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

Welcome to Jersey!

Since you are a beginner, with young children, you need to start with a small garden. You should check out the soil forum, for they will give you time saving hints. Such as, mulch will help suppress weeds, reduce the need for watering, and improve your soil.

Deer stew is the only way to stop the deer. Although 8' fences and large barking dogs are also supposed to help. Probably yelling munchkins chasing them would also deter them. I sic my young sons on the squirrels. They have fun, but it doesn't help much. There are many other remedies which work for some and not others. Note that there are some plants which are deer resistant, nothing is foolproof. But you are talking about veggies, and I don't know much about them. Thankfully I do not have to deal with deer, yet. They are slowly moving into our suburb.

Most of the standard veggies do well here. So much depends on your soil. It may take several years to get your soil into great shape. Basically you want to have lots of organic material such as compost in your soil. Lots of worms indicates good soil, as it means they have enough organic matter to eat, and they leave behind castings (poo) which is extremely rich. Good soil means strong plants, which are healthy enough to fight off pests.

With your kids, you probably want to stay away from chemicals, but that is a personal choice. Visit the organic forum, and just do some reading. Ignore the extremists if they irritate you. Over the years I have migrated away from chemicals, and it is worth it. It is wonderful to have the kids eating veggies right out of the garden.

• joolz
    18 years ago

Hi Sunruner,
    IÂm a southern transplant too, moved here 17 years ago, but still havenÂt managed to shake out my southern roots. I know nothing about veggie planting, but I have to say that I also knew nothing about growing trees until I moved here, and IÂve learned quite a lot! My best advice to you is to involve your children in all of your gardening activities, and to plant special things just for them.

I think the "new to gardening" forum is pretty cool too.

Good luck! Cheers!
    --Joolz

Here is a link that might be useful: A Tree Growers Diary

• beabuz
    18 years ago

Hi, I live in South Jersey and I was wondering if any of you know where to find malva sylvestris plants or seeds. I would like to plant it because it is not only pretty but can be used for medicinal purposes. Welcome to NJ, transplants!!!

• skater2002
    18 years ago

beabuz, you should try Pope's Gardens. If anyone has it, they would.

• beabuz
    18 years ago

Hi Skater, I live 10 minutes from Atlantic City so Pope's Garden (I looked it up) is a hike for me. Thank you, though. I tried select seeds (web site) and they have it. But I guess I'll wait till next season to plant.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors