Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Anyone Know Where to Buy Heirloom Tomato Plants Central/South NJ?

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Hello, I cannot get my heirlooms this year from my usual place. Does anyone know of any place in Ocean County or Central/South New Jersey to get some good tomato plants, especially heirlooms? Thanks! Christy

Comments (11)

• ellenh
    15 years ago

There is a place in Kingwood that specializes in Pepper plants. They have tomatoes as well. It's called cross country. It might be a little far for you though. Here's a link to the web site http://www.chileplants.com/aboutus.asp?section=all

Ellen

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Cristy, what ones areyou looking for? I have extras in some. I am south of you in Mays Landing.

ML

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ellen for the recomendation! I checked out their website, and it seems like it might be worth it to just pay the $10 for them to ship instead of driving and paying more for gas.I still would still like to find a place to go though.
    ML, I know where Mays Landing is. If I can get down there, I would be happy to buy some from you. What kinds do you have? You can email me directly at bonechickchris@aol.com if that is easier. Christy

• MLcom
    15 years ago

I planted about 20 to 30 kinds. Have some extras, Anna Russian, German Red Strawberry, Kelloggs Breakfast, Black Cherry, Rutgers, Orange Ixheart.

ML

• purl_2007
    15 years ago

Hello, neighbors:)
    I am a little North of you, in Staten Island and just started gardening last year. I am looking for a few tomato plants but driving to Cross-county nursery is too far:((
    If any of you have any palnts you could share with me ( within reasonable driving distance) I would love to hear from you.
    Thank you in advance and I want to tell you I am learning everyday from these great forums!!

• neshanicguy
    15 years ago

I usually get my heirlooms from Cross County but they were sold out of the ones I wanted - DRAT! I wound up ordering from someone on eBay - can you say desperate? I'll post a followup with my experience.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Neshanicguy, you are not the only desperate one! I did too order from Ebay,hoping to saver a few bucks,and they did not turn out good at all. You can read all about it if you go the the tomato forum and read the post "can you revive a tomato plant from only a stem?" I think it is on page 2 of the posts by now. Anyway, it tells what happened when I orderd plants, and then I found someone else who ordered from the same ebay person and had the same thing happen to them! Hopefully, for your sake, you did not buy from the same person as we did! I am curious to know how yours come out! Geez, I hope I did not make you feel worse! Christy

• michiet
    15 years ago

I am new to gardening and have some seeds not yet sprouting. =-(I would love to have some extra plants from anybody willing to share to me.

• hunt4carl
    15 years ago

Cross County is a positively fabulous place for heirloom
    tomatoes (and peppers!) - my first few years, I would
    actually visit when they first opened up each April to the
    public - but as someone has mentioned above, they would sometime's already be sold out of certain varieties. These
    past few years, I place orders on-line in January, so I can
    be guaranteed that I'll get what I want. . .and with gas
    prices now, postage will be cheaper! Besides, the actual
    "farm" might be a disappointment to most: it consists of
    several "hoop houses", an office and a Port-a-Potty, all
    sitting in a pasture. . .their web-site, however, is
    dynamite. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross County Nurseries

• Jessica Meyer
    3 years ago

I’m trying to find out where I can purchase and ship my mother in law a good tomato plant. We are in Hunterdon county and know about the Chile/tomato place in Kingwood. We’ve been buying from them for years. Last year I bought her a plant from Home Depot and delivered it. It was a great Size and she was thrilled. For obvious reasons, I can’t deliver it again for Mother’s Day. She lives in Verona, NJ. Any suggestions?