Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

agastache, salvia source in NJ?

birdgardner
16 years ago

I'm looking for the southwestern ones - and cheap is good.

Buck Co. PA is doable too.

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• badzoe
    16 years ago

Hi birdgardener,

I just picked up a Salvia discolor at Anthony's Landscaping in Buckingham, PA. They had a few other Salvias and an Agastache or two as well. Where are you in NJ?

Kristi

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A little north of Princeton.

• njtea
    16 years ago

Birdgardner, try Well Sweep in Port Murray - in spite of my rantings.

I have only ever had two Agastache survive winter - one known as Korean Mint and another whose name I can't recall, but it has chartreuse colored leaves.

The Salvia greggii I got from Well Sweep 3 years ago did not survive this past winter - except for one that I planted in the garden (the others are [or were] in huge pots).

I've given up on Agastache but will never give up on the salvias.

• badzoe
    16 years ago

If you decide to check out Anthony's in Buckingham, you might want to hit some of the other local nurseries. Since I'm in New Hope, I usually start at Living Earth in New Hope, then go to Bountiful Acres, Geerling's and Anthony's in Buckingham and then head over to Paxson Hill Farm in Solebury. Paxson Hill was putting out trays and trays of unusual annuals and tender perennials when I was there last week. I had my little garden helper with me (my 2 yo daughter) so I didn't have as much time as would have liked to browse. I was also going to suggest Well Sweep, although I have never been there myself.

Kristi

• Annie_nj
    16 years ago

Russell Garden Wholesale in Richboro PA (just north of Southhampton) have a variety of both, and their perennials typically run $2.50/pot. Because they are wholesalers, you will pull what you want from the green houses, which is fun but time consuming. Just don't go to their Garden Center just west of them. It's a nice place, but very different from the wholesalers. No web page, but call (215 322-4799)and ask for a catalog, and/or email me.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Atlock always had several salvias at very reasonable prices.

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, all. There's a Philadelphia Herb Society sale in Lambertville on the 19th and I'm told they have salvias. I may make the trek up to Well-Sweep. It's been close to 10 years.

I'll try Russell's too - surprised a wholesaler lets you in.

I'm going to have to start digging my salvias and agastaches. Some survived two winters ago but not the last one.

Atlocks - I pay cash, no mailing list. They sent catalogs I had to throw out before my children saw them.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Really? Atlock has a catalog? I didn't think they had it in them. Cash only is a good point to make. Often I've had to do acrobatics to pay when I've forgotten in the past - which is almost every time.
    Well Sweep does have an online catalog in pdf format - before you make the trip.
    Rutgers is having their sale this weekend - 5/12/07, 9-1. I've gotten a nice agastache there before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers - The 15th Annual Garden Expo and Plant Sale

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Atlocks has weird catalogs, introduced with satirical political rants or featuring 100 plants with smutty names. I like individuality in a nursery but this guy carries it too far for me, so cash only it is. Beautiful place, nice location, and expensive.

• hunt4carl
    16 years ago

Have you tried Ambleside Gardens & Nursery, north of you on Rte. 206, in Hillsborough? They always have a very
    interesting collection of perennials there - last year, I
    discovered a stunning Salvia elegans with GOLD leaves. . .
    hope they carry it again this season. And how about
    Kales Nursery on Carter Road, just west of Princeton. . .

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

That would be "Golden Delicious" which I found at Strawberry Blossom too.
    Atlock is sometimes expensive but their salvias are cheap I thought. I remember them being in the $3 range. I like to get coleus from them too. And begonias. They have the fancy geraniums (they don't like it here) and I am hoping to go back this year and get some Cat Whiskers - Orthosiphon aristatus.
    Otherwise, dollar for dollar, Ambleside seems to be the better deal and at least they have sales. Atlock hardly ever marks anything down. I always find something interesting marked down after July at Ambleside.

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got this book called 'Foliage' by Nancy Ondra from the library, and some of its pictures were from Atlock farms - neat red and purple leafed border on p. 89.

I will make a quick hit on Ambleside this afternoon - I haven't bought anything this year but some tomato plants - just finished seven classes, and dh is employed again, hooray.

Must exercise restraint.....

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Red Top farmstand and garden store on rt 70 just west of 206 has some salvias and agastaches for 2.59.

• wardda
    16 years ago

If I has seen your note I would have directed you to Flaggs in Moorestown when you were down here. They have a bunch of really big rupestris for sale, the first rupestris I've ever seen for sale in New Jersey, and you could have had cuttings of X Desert Sunrise. The later is the hardiest SW Agastache I've ever grown.

• wardda
    16 years ago

Lisa, you helped set up last weekend what I hope will be the southwestern Agastache and Salvia source for South Jersey. Once the plantings are established (hoping for the best) anyone will be able to take cuttings or seeds of the plants they want to grow. It will take a couple of year to build up a really good inventory, but already there are at least a dozen greggii and microphylla in the ground and on trial. I'm set to do a cutting class for Rancocas Nature Center in August (I forget the date) and we may go to several gardens in search of goodies. I'm sorry I didn't bring more of my supply last weekend. There are four of five other varieties which haven't been planted and may end up composted.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths