Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbrenner_gw

I DID find Rare Find Nursery

bbrenner
18 years ago

I'm re-posting this as a new post so it doesn't get lost in the old one....

Just a follow-up. We did get to Rare Find on Friday, May 27. Hank took us for the grand tour on his cart. What an amazing place!

We left with:

1. Tiarella Sugar and Spice

2. Viburnum Summer Snowflake

3. Osmanthus Goshiki (False Holly)

4. Physocarpus opulifolius 'Summer Wine'

Thanks to all of you for the directions and encouragement!

Barbara

Comments (7)

• skatayama
    18 years ago

YES!!!!

I still wish I was going. Well, I am going. sometime this spring/summer...

Were the Rhododendrons and Azaleas flowering?

Sheila

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

Glad you found and enjoyed Rare Find. My favorite and I seldom am able to get away from the place without a purchase. Many plants seem exclusively offered there.
    Staff is agreeable, personable and knowledgeable.

• bbrenner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

All the Rhodos and Azaleas were blooming and I have never seen so many varieties and colors anywhere. Hank said "If you can buy it in any nursery, you won't find it here. That's why it's called 'Rare Find'."

• skatayama
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I made my way out there today. There was a franklinia that needed replacing which Hank replaced no questions asked. I was scoping out the pines, rhododendrons/azaleas, as well as a few other shrubs.

I must have just missed the peak rhododendron bloom but what I saw was still impressive. Did you see the yellow ones? And how about the fragrant azaleas? Those would be my picks...

I also made my way to Cicconi Farms. I did get the catalog and did use a coupon for the extra flat of quart size plants. Got quite a few natives and plants for the butterfly gardens. Wow, you have to walk a lot. It's not easy when the boy insists on riding the cart. Didn't see any musa basjoo but they were closing promptly on time today.

BTW- if anybody is planning to go during Father's Day weekend, I have a Get 1 Free 2 Gallon perennial with a $50 purchase. June 19/20

I probably won't be using the free blueberry bush coupon either. Month of July

Could be talked out of the 3 2-Gallon coreopsis coupon. July 15-31

Could possibly be sweet-talked out of the $10 off $100 purchase. June 1- July31.

Sheila

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Sheila -

Stop teasing and just send me the coupons! I live just
    a few miles from Cicconi and have spent far too much time there in the past fifteen years. . .

Carl

• skatayama
    18 years ago

Send me your address! They're yours. I'm still contemplating the 10 bucks off. Am I really going to go back for some of the ligularia, rodgersias or other large-leaved shade lovers not including hostas? On the other hand, I kinda need to do some house repair projects so to avoid the temptation I should send it too...

Oh the joys of living in an old house...

Sheila

• skatayama
    18 years ago

I finally got out there this year and will be returning for a few other items.

In the meantime, I passed a place called Wild Earth Nurseries very close to RFN. Has anybody gone there? I would have stopped but the deal was I would go to RFN and Cicconi's and the boy would get to go to Burger King (home of the Star Wars toys in the kids meals.) He insisted on going to BK first which turned out to be good because not only did he get a short range fighter that consumed his attention while we were at the nurseries but we passed Wild Earth Nurseries while going to BK from RFN.
    Yes, well back to the focus of this post- Wild Earth Nurseries.
    Sheila

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting