Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitova

deer eating fiddleheads / ferns

kitova
15 years ago

anybody have this happen to them this year? i've never had them bother our ferns but this year, they've taken a strong liking to the young fiddleheads of my christmas and royal ferns.

i've read that white tail deer will eat fiddleheads, but this is the first time ever!

Comments (3)

• njtea
    15 years ago

Mine have been eaten off and on for the last couple of years. Knock on wood, they seem to be untouched so far this year.

If you can get some Deer Scram, sprinkle that on the ferns and the deer will stay away.

• birdgardner
    15 years ago

Say it ain't so, Joe!

They haven't touched the ostrich fern yet, and it's doing such a great job out-competing the garlic mustard. Native plant victory! And now the deer want to take it away?

• kitova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok i've read up on this further (spurred on, weirdly, by some fiddleheads i saw at the supermarket - i was curious, i bought some, then had to get online to learn how to cook them). apparently, fiddleheads (aka young unfurled new growth on ferns in spring) are a delicacy that white tail deer are known to feast on in the springtime in NJ when some other yummy eats haven't popped out yet. go figure. and apparently, few ferns are safe until they are fully unfurled (and then indigestable).

and birdgardner - although they never touched my ostrich ferns, apparently deer will eat those too. the fiddleheads i bought at the store were in fact ostrich fern fiddleheads, and i say, if humans can eat them, why not the deer. those darn cute pesky bastards!

yep gotta protect those ferns in the spring from now on...

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals