Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsong72

flora & fauna abound.....

Birdsong72
15 years ago

these two weeks are amongst my favorite times of the year. I can't help it, but here's a quick overview as to what's happening at my place.

Well over 25 species of rhodies/azaleas now in full bloom at the house: rh. vasyea (sp), rh calendulaceum (about ready to go); az. 'golden embers' (2) in full flower; ex. az 'Gallipoli Red', Az. Kuromo Shikibu (lavender), Rh. Amanda Young, Barmstedt, Rh. 'Jim Cross' lepidote, Rh. Macopin, Az. Southland, Rh. September Song?, Rh. Halinka, Rh. Delps Cream, Rh. Fantastica, Rh. Scintillation, Rh. Solidarity, Rh. Capistrano, Rh. Choice Cream (about ready to go), Az. Rosy Ember(?), Rh Purple Passion, Rh. Cunningham White, Az. Goldfinch, and probably another half dozen that I've long since forgotten, both lep's and elips as well as a couple of dozen comm. red and pink azalea holdovers from the prior owner (which I've kept).

Then the birds today. It's been an excellent spring and with the all day rain event on Friday, who knew what to expect. 16 species of warblers at the house: Ovenbird, B&W, Comm. Yellowthroat (2), Yellow, Prarie (2), Magnolia (5+), BT Green (3), BT Blue (8-10), Bay Breasted, Nashville (beautiful male), Blackburnian (2), with one a very imm. male; Blackpoll, tons of Yellow Rumps, Chestnut Sided, American Redstart (m&f), and many many No. Parulas. Birds have been active since daybreak, through the afternoon (approx. 3pm).

I even put the sprinklers on in the early afternoon, washing some of my gardens, and nearly all of the warblers came down to drink and bathe at eye level.

Other birds: Red breasted Nuthatch for the 2nd week in a row; Red Eye Vireo, Veery, numerous Balt. Orioles.

And I didn't have to burn any gas going to the Hook, or any other migrant trap today.

Comments (3)