Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flora & fauna abound.....

Posted by birdsong72 7/JerseyShore (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 17:28

these two weeks are amongst my favorite times of the year. I can't help it, but here's a quick overview as to what's happening at my place.

Well over 25 species of rhodies/azaleas now in full bloom at the house: rh. vasyea (sp), rh calendulaceum (about ready to go); az. 'golden embers' (2) in full flower; ex. az 'Gallipoli Red', Az. Kuromo Shikibu (lavender), Rh. Amanda Young, Barmstedt, Rh. 'Jim Cross' lepidote, Rh. Macopin, Az. Southland, Rh. September Song?, Rh. Halinka, Rh. Delps Cream, Rh. Fantastica, Rh. Scintillation, Rh. Solidarity, Rh. Capistrano, Rh. Choice Cream (about ready to go), Az. Rosy Ember(?), Rh Purple Passion, Rh. Cunningham White, Az. Goldfinch, and probably another half dozen that I've long since forgotten, both lep's and elips as well as a couple of dozen comm. red and pink azalea holdovers from the prior owner (which I've kept).

Then the birds today. It's been an excellent spring and with the all day rain event on Friday, who knew what to expect. 16 species of warblers at the house: Ovenbird, B&W, Comm. Yellowthroat (2), Yellow, Prarie (2), Magnolia (5+), BT Green (3), BT Blue (8-10), Bay Breasted, Nashville (beautiful male), Blackburnian (2), with one a very imm. male; Blackpoll, tons of Yellow Rumps, Chestnut Sided, American Redstart (m&f), and many many No. Parulas. Birds have been active since daybreak, through the afternoon (approx. 3pm).

I even put the sprinklers on in the early afternoon, washing some of my gardens, and nearly all of the warblers came down to drink and bathe at eye level.

Other birds: Red breasted Nuthatch for the 2nd week in a row; Red Eye Vireo, Veery, numerous Balt. Orioles.

And I didn't have to burn any gas going to the Hook, or any other migrant trap today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flora & fauna abound.....

Notable oversights off of the above list are: Rh. prinophyllum and Rh. canescens along with Rh. Heritage Salmon as well as Rh. My Mary.

o

Birdsong, although I've not had quite the numbers of birds you've had, I've stopped driving to find birds as I've found that if I just sit at home and wait, lots will show up in the front yard. The weekend before this past one, I had 17 different species show up in the yard.

o

Birdsong, although I've not had quite the numbers of birds you've had, I've stopped driving to find birds as I've found that if I just sit at home and wait, lots will show up in the front yard. The weekend before this past one, I had 17 different species show up in the yard.

Good for you Tea!!!! Now just imagine if everyone began to plant for sustainability and began using 'natives' into their landscape.

Slowly, our neighborhoods would begin to be 'pro nature' again.

I've had a Comm. Yellowthroat using my property the past week (actually 2) and hope does spring eternal that one year they'll nest here. Last year (1 cardinal, 3 robin, 2 catbird and 1 Balt. Oriole nest)...

But back to your post: 17 species is terrific! Forgive me as I've forgotten where you call home.......which is?....

While this noreaster has put a dent in any new arrivals, I did hear Parula and Black Throated Blue singing as I got out of the car this evening. In a few short weeks, it'll all turn so quiet in our neighborhoods. Almost silence come May 30 in most NJ neighborhoods. Enjoy while they stop in to rest and feed with you...

All the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here