Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladychroe

Now comes the lull... What can I plant for post-bulb blooms?

ladychroe
16 years ago

Hi,

After the bulbs poop out, I find my yard looks boring. Here's what's blooming for me now:

Irises, aquilegia, jacob's ladder, brunnera finishing up

Alliums blooming now

Geraniums, dianthus, some kind of pink "spring aster" just starting

Roses, galliarda, echinacea, scabiosa, clemmies are budding but not blooming

What's blooming in your garden? Help me fill the lull.

Comments (8)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Besides what you list, clematis - Bees Jubilee, Niobe, Vyvyan Pennell, Willy (that one is new though), Rose Blanc Double de Coubert opened today, tomorrow should be Zephirine Drouhin, spirea japonica, a euphorbia, rock rose, azaleas, a sorry camellia, Lonicera sempervirens, centaura montana, foam flower, ravenswing - cow parsley, hawkweed - leapord plant, pyracantha, kerria, sedum, ajuga, woodruff, nectaroscordum, waterperry (veronica),a few annuals,a few viburnums - V. tribolum and V. sargentii Onondaga, Rainbow Leucothoe, hellebores, bleeding heart - dicentra spectabilis, iberis, broome, baptista, solomon's seal, those pink creeping strawberry plants, regular strawberry plants, cornus though not showy,a blue perennial salvia I started from seed is just opening, I'm not sure which one, not S. nemorosa though one of those is getting close too, maybe viola freckles is still blooming, one red astilbe is starting, the rest not yet. Other things have finished, others are getting ready to begin.

• pontesmanny
    16 years ago

Blooming now.
    magnolia sieboldii "Colossus"
    rosa "Knockout"
    bletilla "Innocence"
    Astrantia "Sunningdale Gold"
    Viola "Etain"
    Claytonia sibirica
    Lilacs
    Viburnum acerifolium
    Lonicera periclymenum
    Several irises

This is a very good time in the garden for me. Rhodos and some azaleas are in full swing along with the irises. Also roses are in their first flush and the lilacs are winding down. Magnolia sieboldii and Lonicera periclymenum (?) have just started. So fragrance is there in plenty.

pontesmanny

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Forgot geranium phaeum Samobor.

• pontesmanny
    16 years ago

And I forgot Illicium floridanum and Cornus Kousa.

Loretta: what sedum is blooming for you in Spring?

• prubo
    16 years ago

Hemerocallis flava (lemon lily) and iberis (candytuft) always help to fill in the lull you're referring to in my garden.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    16 years ago

Manny, I usually don't keep the tags on my sedums but it's the creeping type, not stonecrop that you are probably thinking of. Others creeping sedums will flower before fall too, usually yellow flowered, occasionally pink.

{{gwi:1062473}}

• pontesmanny
    16 years ago

Loretta:

Thanks for the information. Nice plant and nice picture of the sedum. Something I need to get

ladychroe
    Also blooming now are jasminum stephanense, lonicera heckrotii and siberian irises. Hydrangea quercifolia has just started blooming. I recommend lonicera heckrotii and hydrangea quercifolia (at least they have done very well in my garden.

• ladychroe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahhh.. the lull is over. Thank you all for your suggestions. Bluestone thanks you too, because of the big fat order I placed to avoid this problem next year.