Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howardnj

Community Gardens in Monmouth County?

howardnj
15 years ago

I just moved from a larger property to a townhouse. Now I can't grow my heirloom tomatoes and peppers. Does anyone know of a community garden in Monmouth County? I'm in Ocean Twp. I enjoy helping others and sharing my produce.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• howardnj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No response as yet so I'm bumping this to the top

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Wish I knew of one for you, but have you tried calling the Master Gardeners of Monmouth County? The Helpline number is 732-303-7614, Mon-Fri 9am-4pm.

If you still want to keep your hands in the dirt, maybe you'd consider taking the course yourself and becoming a Master Gardener? We've got lots of projects going on all around the county and each class plans, plants, maintains and harvests vegetables and herbs from the PAR Garden (Plant a Row for the Hungry) behind the Agriculture Building.

Or, if you're not up to the MG commitment, maybe c'mon up and volunteer at Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown? It's a county park, so you can't grow your own produce, or take anything out with you ... except the satisfaction of a job well done in these peaceful and beautiful public gardens.

• howardnj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already been thinking about taking the Master Gardener's course but I think it starts in January or February. Your other suggestion is ideal for me as it doesn't matter whose dirt I dig in.
    I'll definately look into Deep Cut. And if I can find a good farm stand, I don't need grow stuff for myself

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Yes, the MG course starts in late February. If you're even mildly interested, call now (the Helpline number above) and ask to be put on the mailing list. Applications go out in September and you'll automatically receive one, at which point you can decide whether you want to apply or not. (I took the course in 2007 and was very, very impressed with the quality of instructors, as well as the great group of people in the program.) If you'd like to attend one of our MG Association's general meetings, you're welcome to do so ... just let me know.

Links for the Master Gardeners of Monmouth County and Rutgers MG Program info are below:

http://www.visitmonmouth.com/07050coopext/MasterGard.asp

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/mastergardeners/

Rutgers Extension has a searchable database of "pick-your-own farms" in NJ:

http://ifplantscouldtalk.rutgers.edu/pyo/

Here's a similar list (NJ Dept. of Ag.) for farmstands:

http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/agriculture/jerseyfresh/search.pl?type=roadside&county1=monmouth

That site doesn't give any ratings (perhaps others on the forum can give some insight on that) and there are probably lots of good ones not listed, especially as you head out to the western part of the county. We toured Kauffman Farms last summer and I was impressed with this family-owned & operated farm/market.

Finally, if you come up to Deep Cut, please do stop in at the Horticultural Center to say hello ... I work there M-F and alternate Saturdays, basically coordinating horticultural programs; my office is just off the foyer.

Diane

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

The Master Gardening class really sounds interesting to me. Do you know if Ocean County has one? Or how I could find this out? I live all the way in Forked River so Monmouth is a little far for me. Thanks! Christy

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Christy, yes, they do. Looks like they don't have a website like Monmouth does, but the URL below will take you to a Rutgers Extension page that lists the NJ counties with MG programs; just click on the link for Ocean and you'll find contact information and more.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/mastergardeners/counties.asp

It really has been interesting and lots of fun as well.

Diane

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

They have a Community Garden right down the road from you at The Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties on Route 66 just west of the intersection (light) at Bowne Rd.

It's a little confusing to get to their entrance as the "campus" is on the south/east bound side of Route 66 but best access from Ocean/Tinton Falls is right out of Bowne Rd onto Rt. 66 and then quick left into their entrance.

The main facility is a big barn structure so once you see it you'll remember it if you haven't seen it already in your travels.

They're a great organization and help thousands of people in our area as well as give people who need a place to do some real gardening but don't have the property on which to do it.

They need lots of food at this time of year because all the children who get breakfast/lunch through school programs are out for the summer. Their parents have to try and come up with extra to feed them those meals until September rolls around.

Whole families could do with some good, freshly grown produce and flowers can be magic to kids...help them learn about the natural beauty their world has to offer instead of just the "problems" that come their way. Hunger knows no bounds and it's a great cause.

Win - win for all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Community Garden - Foodbank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties

• howardnj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information on The Foodbank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties. I'll check it out when this heat subsides.

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Today I had a very nice conversation with Barbara Scholz, the contact person for the garden at the Foodbank, but have a somewhat disappointing report: They do still have the volunteer garden in production, but, unfortunately, do not have the individual garden plots up and running at this time; there was not a lot of interest, and there were a few wrinkles to iron out. (Their website is due to be updated.) She was very pleased to hear that there is some interest and will pursue a few leads I gave with respect to ironing out those wrinkles. It's too late for this growing season, but it sounded like they would be receptive to reinstating the program in the future if the present issues can be worked out.

I'm certain they'd be happy to hear from anyone interested in working in the volunteer garden, and it couldn't hurt to give a call if you have experience with a successfully-run community garden.

Diane

• howardnj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally got to visit Deep Cut Gardens this week and meet Diane. Deep Cut is a terrific garden and there is a lot of exciting projects going on. It's very quiet and peaceful with no crowds at all. A worthwile experience for people of all ages. I was limited in time but I will be back for a more leasurely visit someday soon.

• kadi
    14 years ago

I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone here, but it is an amazing idea and so I wanted to support it and pass it on.

Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyperlocavore.com

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery