Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangia

Posted by court623 07039 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 18:22

I have a Hydrangia with green leaves with white borders on it. It has 4 foot stalks but has not really have new leaf growth yet. It has little buds right now on the long stalks and some green leaves filling out on the bottom. Is it dying or a late bloomer? I'll post pics if I can figure out how. Also, I transplanted another today and the leaves are wilting pretty bad. Is that normal? I watered it thoroughly but it was moved from a friends house to mine and was out of the ground for about 3 hours. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangia

Picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangia

o
Hydrangia Picture

http://s356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ruckin69/Hydrangea/

o
Trying to get picture on try #3

Why is it so hard to get a photo on here?

[IMG]http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ruckin69/Hydrangea/IMG_0611.jpg[/IMG]

o

For the transplanted one - keep it moist but don't let it sit in water. It is in shock. You may lose the stems but it should regrow from the crown like the one you show in your picture. It probably won't flower this year. That one will take some patience.
As for your hydrangea, its OK. It is growing from the ground first but it looks like many of the sticks are still alive because they have green buds. Just leave them for a little. If the buds die off in the end or you don't see any buds coming at all once the plant has leafed out fully, you can cut the stick back. You can tell the color of a dead hydrangea stick to a live one. It is browner alive, whitish when dead and snaps easily. When you cut a stem, you will see a living green ring under the bark when alive. All of a sudden the good sticks will leaf out fully. Hydrangea is like that. They are sensitive to warm and cold cycles during winter and late spring and sometimes act like an herbaceous plant, dying to the ground, especially when young. Also some cultivars of hydrangeas are hardier than others. As for your variegated plant, don't expect flowers on the stems that are starting from the ground. Last year's stems might give you some. It does look like the terminal buds have died on most, if not all the stems. Do any show a live bud on the end? But it looks like you have some along the side and you can get some flowers from them.

o

When posting from Photobucket, put your cursor on the pic you want, then you'll have 4 choices. Pick the third choice,"HTML Code". Copy and past that to your post and your done. Simple, huh?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here