Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deer & bearded irises

Posted by kitova z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 08 at 19:13

hi guys, do any of you have experiences with deer eating bearded irises?

i know they eat the leaves in spring on occasion but can't find enough information about the blooms themselves..

i had a few sat in a shady spot for years where they never bloomed (and so i never cared) but now i have a few flowers i want to know... thanks!

p.s., the scent on some of these blooms is just divine!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deer & bearded irises

Deer never used to bother my Irises and I've had them for years, but in the last two years the deer have begun chomping on the flowers just when they look their best. They've started eating all kinds of plants they never touched before, like hydrangea bushes and geraniums. I don't know if it's just my weird deer or all deer. I spray Repel after every rain or twice a week and that deters them (so far), but it will ruin your divine scent experience.

o

yea, i just discovered the sweet lemony scent of bearded irises. so sugary! well, thanks for the advice, went out and sprayed mine today (altho it just keeps raining...)

o

Deer Solution and/or Deer Scram work even better than Repel and without the noxious odor.

Deer Scram is a granular product that works for 6-8 weeks and is made more "potent" by rain - just not a deluge.

Deer Solution smells more of rosemary than of rotten eggs.

o

njtea, what is deer scram made of, do you know? the website says it's made from animal byproducts but i'm curious, is it fish? is it unhappy-processed-cow blood?

i sprayed deer solution on the irises. i really love that product but the deer have started eating many more things they didn't eat before (must be an overpopulation). i'm just tired of spraying.. especially with all this new growth and it's been raining constantly so the spray doesn't have time to dry before it rains again.

so i'm up for trying pellets in spring as long as it doesn't smell too bad.. and isn't bad for the environment and washed by rain into our stream out the back ..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the New Jersey Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here