Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbrenner_gw

Couldn't find Rare Find Nursery

bbrenner
18 years ago

This is my first posting here, but I've been reading and looking at the wonderful photos for the past week.

I live in Central NJ in the Jackson area (although my postal address is New Egypt). Today we set out to find (1) Rare Find Nursery and (2) Cicconi Farms. Wasted an entire morning because we could not find Rare Find at all (followed MapQuest directions to a T; we finally gave up after backtracking several times and headed for Cicconi Farms. Another letdown, since North Prospect Road was closed at some point and we never found our way to that either.

Does anyone have any good directions to Rare Find? When we couldn't find it, we called their phone number, but just got an answering machine, which didn't do us much good -- we wanted to talk to a real person who could direct us. Are they still even there? Today was such a big disappointment for us -- although we did end up going to Chesterfield Gardens and buying an azalea and 2 Delphiniums.

Comments (8)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Did you try these directions on Rare Find's website. That is how I got there and I did arrive via 195. Its not far at all from Great Adventure. I think I did pass Wright-Debow road initially and had to back track. When you go back over I 195, it comes up immediately.
    I've never been to Ciccone.

Here is a link that might be useful: RareFind Nursery

• Maria410
    18 years ago

They are alive and well, I was there a few weeks back and loaded up on plants.

Here are the directions from the back of the catalog. From the NJ Turnpike, take exit 7A for Interstate 195 East. Go 11 miles on Interstate 195, to Exit 16B. Take Rt 537 East less than one mile, turn right onto Wright Debow Rd. In 1.3 miles you go over Interstate 195: immediately make a sharp right onto Patterson Rd. About 500 feet, turn left through iron gates. I am not sure the nursery is well marked. I know it by the iron gates.

I have been there when it has not been very busy and gotten a personal tour of the gardens that they have planted in front of the owner's house. It should be beautiful about now with the rhodies in bloom.

• bbrenner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. MapQuest gave me this:

1. Turn RIGHT onto CR-537/MONMOUTH RD.
    2. Turn RIGHT onto CR-526/CR-571/W COMMODORE BLVD
    3. Turn LEFT onto CR-526/W COMMODORE BLVD
    4. Turn RIGHT onto PATTERSON RD.

We did find Patterson Rd, but drove back and forth down it without finding the nursery. I think the turn onto Rt 526 by the Six Flag Outlets (W. Commodore Blvd) did us in. We probably should have gone a little further east. I don't remember us passing a Wright Debow Rd.

Perhaps we'll take another drive next weekend. We're only about 4-1/2 miles from Great Adventure.

• Odie99
    18 years ago

The directions from the catalog are accurate and easy. I visit about once a week. It is truly an experiance. You are very close if you are only 4.5 miles from GA. Enjoy your visit, bring a truck or make sure the car is empty, you'll find lots of great plants, many not listed in the catalog.

Kirk

• skatayama
    18 years ago

It is tough to find the first time. But definitely keep trying. I'm going there sometime soon to check out the azaleas and rhododendrons in bloom as well as a few other plants. Last year, my little boy and I got the grand tour with Hank no less. The boy was greatly impressed with the cart.

Sheila

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Yes, I got a cart ride too. Hank was very nice and recommended a great pizza joint back on 537. You'll have to ask him the name but they had great foccacia(?)bread sandwiches.
    The trick is that the turn is immediately after the overpass over I195. Like Maria said, look for the iron gates.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

DON'T give up trying - you'll be missing a "rare find" indeed! I live next door in Freehold and this time
    of year, I drop in weekly just to stroll through the
    display and propagation areas - an endless sea of rhodo-
    dendrums (and azaleas, of course) in constantly shifting
    bloom, all nestled into a pine woods - but don't miss the
    main sales area and greenhouses where they have hundreds
    of other remarkable plants. Go soon: this continued rain
    isn't being kind to all the blooms.

Both sets of directions above would work, since Wright-
    Debow Road runs from Rte. 537 all the way through to
    Rte. 526 - but coming from Interstate 195, the Rte. 537
    is easier. Try this: when you exit the Interstate from
    either direction, be aware of the traffic lights - the
    first light is directly above the Interstate - the second light is the entrance to Jackson Outlets - the third light
    is the intersection of Rtes. 571/526. All this happens in
    LESS than one-half mile! Continue NE on Rte. 537 toward
    Freehold, but immediately start looking for Wright-Debow Rd. on your RIGHT (less than a mile) - turn onto this road
    and wander along for a mile or more, but the moment you
    cross over a major highway (it happens to be the Interstate) almost instantly turn RIGHT onto Patterson Rd.
    The big iron-gated entrance to Rare Find will appear on
    your LEFT with-in the first quarter mile.

Try this when you leave: turn RIGHT onto Wright-Debow Rd.
    (instead of left, back over the highway bridge) and follow
    the road out to it's termination at Rte. 526 - if you turn right, it will take you back toward Jackson Outlets - if
    you turn left, it will take you further into Jackson along
    County Line Road and eventually all the way to Rte. 9. If
    you're from Jackson, that should sound familiar!

To reach Ciccone's, approach it from either direction on
    Farmingdale Road (which it's on), a road that extends from
    Jackson Mills Road all the way across to Rte. 9 (the first
    section from Rte. 9 to Fort Plains Rd. is actually called
    Hulses Rd.) Don't you love the old English tradition of
    changing road names every time it intersects a new one?!!!
    LOL. . .

• bbrenner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just a follow-up. We did get to Rare Find on Friday, May 27. Hanks took us for the grand tour on his cart. What an amazing place!

We left with:

1. Tiarella Sugar and Spice
    2. Viburnum Summer Snowflake
    3. Osmanthus Goshiki (False Holly)
    4. Physocarpus opulifolius 'Summer Wine'

Barbara