Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathya11

source for alfalfa pellets?

Kathy
17 years ago

I'm looking for a source of economical alfalfa and cottonseed pellets to use as a soil amendment. We live in Bayonne, an extremely urban area, and I have no clue as to where the closest feed store would be. I'm guessing the Colt's Neck area might have some, but I have no clue where to start looking. Can anyone make any recommendations? Diane, are there any feed stores in your area that you'd recommend?

Comments (4)

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Kathy, I get alfalfa pellets, etc. at Monmouth Feed, 294 Squankum Road, Farmingdale in Monmouth County; it's just a half mile off Interstate 195, between Allaire State Park and the Manasquan Reservoir. That's also where I get my pond supplies.

Nice people there, but I hope you can find something closer to home!

Diane (another one)

• Kathy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe we'll give them a shot next weekend -- are they open on Sunday?

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Yes, they are, but here's their number so you can check specific hours or get directions: 888-239-7663. Since you're coming a distance, probably a good idea to make sure they're not temporarily out of stock. Don't hesitate to let them know what you intend to use it for - apparently they have lots of customers who are buying for their gardens rather than their horses.

I hope you have nice weather and a safe and enjoyable trip.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

The Hungry Puppy in Farmingdale has alfalfa cubes and pellets in 50# bags, pellets are $8.99, cubes were higher. The store is located on Rt 33, just a few minutes west of where we have our rose society meetings.

Also, Hemlock Hill Farm on Phalanx Road in Lincroft, you have to call then in advance.

Forcellati's on Rt 35 in Wall has kelp meal (5# bags; I did leave a few) and corn gluten meal (25# bags).

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner