Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datdog

Popes Garden- FANTASTIC place

Datdog
18 years ago

I can't remember who mentioned Popes garden last year but I'm SO glad that you did. Thank you! I finally made the trip there today. What a great nursery. The annual selection is the best I've ever seen and I know the prices can't be beat. So many hard to find varieties were right there! I'm a annual junkie and I'm always on the look out for something different. They have it. I was like a pig in mud!:)

They also have a large selection of perennials too but I didn't have time to check them out. They also sell Pro-mix potting soil. Something I can never find in my area. It was well worth the trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: directions to Popes

Comments (20)

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pope's Garden's fanatics;
    it was probably my raving about them last season that piqued your interest. On my first early visit this Spring,
    the owner commented on the number of people already this
    season who had heard about them through Garden Web; I think
    it's terrific that we can actually help to make a difference for some of these better-run "Mom-and-Pop
    operations. So, come on everybody, TELL us about the
    really GOOD nurseries you've found !

Carl

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Datdog:

Be SURE you take the time to go back to Pope's and browse
    through their perennial collection (mid-Spring is best).

And HOSTA-LOVERS please note: they have almost 70 varieties
    available at 4-for-$20 - yes, that's only $5 apiece !!!

Carl

• Datdog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Carl! Great idea to bring up favorite nurseries once again. I will be back at Pope's for sure. It was a great day. The kids loved feeding apples to the emu. Something for everyone :)

• axeman
    18 years ago

I went to Pope's last year after reading about them here. Its now way at the top of my list for annuals, perennials, and herbs. No reason to go any place else, although I still go to Springdale Farms since is so close.

Dont get me started about the Hostas. A couple of years ago I said I never need to buy another Hosta since I can just keep dividing what I have. That was before I saw Pope's selection and prices. Now I have more Hosta's that I can divide.:)

Fantastic place, and I like how its laid out.

• skippy05
    18 years ago

I wanted to go to Popes not only for the flowers/plants
    BUT to see the animals!!
    I definitely have to get there now!!!
    Thanks for the great review!!

• Datdog
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Skippy be sure to bring some cut up apples for the emu. He loved them :) !

• tazdevyl1
    18 years ago

Where abouts in NJ is this? Im in the Central area. If its as good as everyone says it is, Id be willing to take the time to drive out a bit to save money. The ones we have around here are WAY to pricy for my liking.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Go to their website for explicit directions:
    www.popesgardens.com - generally located southeast of
    Philadelphia, not far off the Atlantic City Expressway;
    also just off Rte. 206 as you're passing through the Pine Barrens and approaching Hammonton (the Blueberry Capital of the United States). Look for the town of Waterford Works on your map.

It's well worth the search!

• dighappy
    18 years ago

One of the best nurseries in South Jersey......great prices and everything is marked so clearly. Be sure to check out the gift shop too....they have the cutest garden accessories there.

• Odie99
    18 years ago

After reading all the comments here on Gardenweb, I had to make a visit to Pope's. I was definately not dissapointed. What a great place. Excellent plant material and variety. Great pricing and plent of inventory. I made a point to meet both Jim and Joan and can tell you they are wonderful and well informed. Living in the Garden State, I often wonder why folks buy from the big box stores or expensive garden centers, when we have such fabulous sources like Pope's all around us. I will reccomend Pope's to all my friends and clients, as an amazing example of a retail nursery in southern New Jersey.

Kirk

• maryeis
    18 years ago

Hi Datdog,
    I get my Pro-Mix from HD in Lawnside NJ, if that's any closer to you.

• kmrnj
    18 years ago

Echo all the sentiments on POPE's.
    Took advantage of a dismal shore day last Saturday for a great gardening discovery .
    Fantastic selection of very healthy plants at a great value.
    The nursery is laid out well with information on all the plants.
    We thoroughly enjoyed this visit and will be going back again

• dcumba99p
    18 years ago

Is Popes mainly hostas or do they have larger shrubs and trees? We're about an hour away so a trip may be in the works for the weekend.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

dcumba99p: Most of the Pope's perennials are gallons, including a lot of the shrubs (hostas are just a large
    sub-division), but DON'T expect fully developed shrubs,
    certainly not at these prices! Everything, of course,
    will develop in time, as all the plants I've purchased
    there will attest. We're heading into the end of June already so stocks may be somewhat depleted, but go anyway
    so'll have an even BETTER reason to return next April/May
    with a truck!

• kymmieann
    18 years ago

I did it I did it!!!! I went to Popes. Yay! Didnt find it at first so went to the Wawa on Rt 30 and the woman there told me exactly where to go. My boyfriend and youngest daughter went with me. Of course the baby loved the animals especially the turkey. I have NEVER seen a white turkey.
    They have a gorgeous selection of plants, I was very very impressed. Especially with that Angels Trumpet its HUGE (not for sale or 150.00)Oh and so many different varieties of houseplants.
    I love how everything is alphabetically marked its so cute.
    This late in the season (I guess) they didnt have too many varieities of Hostas (which is why I went. I think they had about 20 different ones, still a good amount. I bought 4, if boyfriend wasnt with me I would have gotten more.
    The giftshop is very nice. Their dogs (labs) are very cute and friendly hmmm, had a hard time tearing the baby away from them too.
    I was also impressed that they had Liquid Fence my mom is TRYING to grow Hostas this year and this is just what she needs and when Joan pulled out a info pack about what plants deer dont like I was blown away.
    I WILL DEFINATELY reccommend Popes to everyone interested in gardening!!!!
    I rate them an 11 on a scale of 1-10.
    Thanks for letting me know about Popes.
    Kymmie

• Kathy
    18 years ago

Kirk, people buy at the places you mentioned because they don't know about other sources. I've lived in NJ (Hudson County) all my life (I'll be 50 next month) and I never heard of Pope's until this moment.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Where's pope's?

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

Pope's is just south of Atco on Old White Horse Pike, north of the Atlantic City Expressway. (Do a google search for more details.) I finally had time to visit it yesterday, and it is now #1 on my list for annuals. Their stock was in great shape, and prices are very reasonable. I didn't check out the perennials too much, but what I saw looked nice.

• foofna
    18 years ago

Sounds great, but I live in North Jersey. Would it still be worthwhile for me to go? How about in the fall? Do they have good sales on perennials and shrubs in the fall?

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Know nothing about pheasents and never been to Popes (probably won't soon either a little bit of a hike for me) but that Amherst? pheasent on their page is BEAUTIFUL. :)