Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skatayama_gw

looking for hardy begonias and hardy fuschias

skatayama
18 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone seen either of these in any of the Jersey nurseries? I really want bedding size of the fuschias but beggars can't be choosers can they?

Sheila

Comments (4)

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

I can bring these to the swap-that is, if we hear anything definite about a date/time.

• wardw
    18 years ago

I have them both too, but don't think I'll make the swap, although I'd like to. Hardy begonias, which grow and spread like weeds, are among my favorite weeds, and one wonders why they are never for sale in New Jersey. The fuschias I understand, since they just don't reach their full potential here.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

I got my pink hardy begonia originally at the Rutgers plant sale in the fall for $12.00 two seasons ago. It does spread like a weed but I love it. If you can't get the plants, I can give you some seeds to spread around the ground and see what happens. I get a lot of babies but I am not sure if its from the little bulbils (or whatever you call them) or the seeds or both. Mine have just started to emerge.

• skatayama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello all,
    I wish I could go to the swap but weekends are usually the only time DH has any free time at all. I've been trying to find a few gardeners around the bayshore but so far having better luck converting some of the neighbors to my way of "lawn care". I really want to work on the guy across the street who has a service come by to maintain the turf.
    I did find some triphylla type Fuchsias and some hardy begonias at the Union Square green market. Not really a local source but we can call it regional.
    For anyone else looking for these plants, I did find F. magellanica at Dearborn Farms in Holmdel but it was pricey. No dice at Brocks in Colt's Neck where it has been backordered for weeks. Didn't see it at Cicconi's when I went. None at all Sickles in Little Silver but they did have a selection of begonias- angel wing, cane, rex...

I want to find some of the other supposedly hardy begonias coming out of China.

Sheila

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler