Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
necienj

really, really new to landscaping/gardening

necienj
17 years ago

we have just finished putting in a new pool and didn't realize that there would be room for plantings between the fence and patio. I would like to plant some shrubs that are fairly low maintenance, but add some color and life to the patio area. We will probably have mulch as the base for now, but can anyone give me suggestions on what to plant? The area gets sun until about 4pm. We have 2 young children, so nothing that they can get into trouble with or that will attract bees as it is right near the patio.

I appreciate any help. I enjoy reading the forum and getting tips as I would like to start to garden seriously (as much as i can with a 3 and 1 yr old!) - now that we are finally settled I want really improve our new surroundings.

thanks,

denise

Comments (6)

• actuary97
    17 years ago

A few things to think about before recommending plants

How high is the fence, Is it something you want to hide, or want to accent.

Do you have any privacy issues.

Are deer a problem?

Do you have an interest in Winter Interest?

Excelsior

Dave

• necienj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fence is 4 ft black aluminum - i would say accent the fence rather than hide. we do have a ton of deer in the area, but split rail fence surrounds property and then these shrubs/plants would be inside the aluminum fence, so hopefully no deer activity at all.

not too worried about privacy as neighbors have plantings and trees that take care of that for us.

winter interest - not needed as we wouldn't be using the pool area at all (can't afford a hot tub yet!!)

thanks again
    denise

• actuary97
    17 years ago

Keep in mind that most deer laugh at a split rail fence. and if there is something tasty they might jump a four foot fence as well. Although the prospect of falling in the drink might keep them out.

One more question,

How wide is the planting area,

• Annie_nj
    17 years ago

Someother things to consider: Stuff coming off the shrubs and into your pool, like spent petals, seeds, leaves etc... You will need sturdy, non-bee type shrupbs/plants if balls thrown from the pool are going to land in this area.

Look around at what shrubs other people have, and see what you like, and what you don't like. For this summer, you can plant annuals, and then take your time deciding. Check the forums if you need more specific info.

The start to a great garden is the soil. You may need to add some compost to boost the soil. Generally the darker the soil the better. You should also decide how many chemicals you plan on using. IMHO, especially with children around, the more organic the better.

You should be looking for shrubs/perennials for sun. I have mostly shade, so I cannot help you out much.

I wouldn't worry about the bees, unless you have an alergy issue. I have many flying insects, and my son has only been stung once, when he was too young to understand that bees will sting if you smush them. My son, now 11, likes to tickle the bumblebees (generic ID) as they pollinate all our flowers. Sometimes the big bumblebees will hang right in front of me, I think they are nearsighted and trying to see what I am. Wasps are another story, but they are not attracted to flowers. The butterflies and hummingbirds like many flowers as well.

If you buy from the big box stores (Walmart or Home Depot), hang on to your receipt. Sometimes up to 50% shrubs/trees will die in the first year, and you can return them. With a local nursery, you usually cannot return them, but they do deliver a plant which has been taken care of and watered regularly.

Tomatoes like sun, as well as peppers. My son loves broccoli, ever since he picked it and ate it right out of the garden at age 2. Note: ages 3-5 kid's eating habits get odd, but usually return to normal later.

• necienj
    Original Author
    17 years ago

waiting to see what the actual planting area will be after fence is up and pavers are done. i would say one area won't be more than 8X8 ish and smaller area would be more long, than wide (2X10 - running between retaining wall and aluminum fence)

i have been browsing nurseries in the my area (but very expensive) and checking out people's pool areas as i take walks to get ideas.

thanks for the advice annie - my 3 yr old likes broccoli - but sometimes only on mondays....says she hates it other days, so getting to learn about her odd habits!!!

• actuary97
    17 years ago

I think you already got some good advice so far.

Annuals might be a good choice for the first year,

You might also want to consider some sun loving perennials for the 2x0 area. something like rudbeckia, echinacea, coreopsIs, or maybe some ornamental grasses might be nice.

For the larger area you might want to look at some shrubs that dont grow too quickly so they dont dominate the fence.

A good choice might be azaleas, spirea, barberry, or something like that.

When looking at plants you might want to keep in mind that smaller plants are going to be more reasonable. If you want to save money you could just go smaller and wait for them to grow in.

You might want to go with a small ornamental tree in the 8X8 area as well. You might have a little extra maintenance with leaf cleanup, but you may also get a little well needed shade poolside.

Hope this is of some help

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities